Any limits on the number of folders in a briefing book? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi! We have a problem with ProClarity 6.3 when publishing a briefing book, with a lot of folders, to PAS 6.3 .

The error message says "Unable to publish Book. Client:Invalid request". Is there a limit on the number of folders and reports in a briefing book that you can publish to PAS?

BR

Thomas

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Thomas,

I think the latest version of PAS should help you.  Your hunch is likely correct regarding data volume being the culprit.  There was an issue in the release version of PAS 6.3 that truncated data being sent to the client if the data reached a certain size.  I'm guessing this is what you're seeing.  Installing the latest hotfix on PAS should resolve it.

Regarding your slicer question, all slicer information is essentially hierarchy selection information.  This is all stored in the briefing book xml, which is stored in the PAS database when the book is published to PAS.  When that XML is sent to the client, the client recognizes particular hierarchy selections as being for a slicer, queries the cube for those values, and then loads them into the slicer control, with the default selection being the Where clause value for that hierarchy in the MDX for the view.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:10 PM

All replies

• Try the latest service pack, available here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924191.

-Joey

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Late feedback on this problem.

Joey, this service pack is installed on the server where we have this problem.

The same problem also appeared in a briefing book with a large slicer dimension, product with several hundred product members, active in the slicer(background dimension).

When we removed this slicer the problem disappeared so we suspect that the problem is related to limits of how much data that can be kept in each briefing book.

Is this a known issue?

Thank you for the feedback anyway.

BR

Thomas Ivarsson

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Hello Thomas,

PAS does not limit the number of pages within a briefing book as long as you are not over-extending the available hardware.  The Requirements document outlines all of the specs, but ProClarity recommens 4 GB RAM on your PAS Server.  Have you tried breaking the book up into a couple smaller books to see if that resolves the problem?

When the Professional Client presents that error I suggest checking your Event Logs to see if any useful information is being logged there. If so feel free to post the events here and I'll see what I can figure out.  Also, does this happen on all client machines or just on one in particular?  I suggest checking the PTS / AS Client Tools version on the client machines to ensure they are up to date. Often times if you have differing Client component versions than what is installed on the server performance and connectivity problems can occur.

Thanks,

Amanda

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Hello Amanda, thanks for your reply.

The hardware on the server is sufficient but we are not running the latest hotfix for ProClarity Analytics Server. Since this problem only occurs with a limited amount of briefing books, with a large number of slicer members in a report, we have a workaround by limiting this in reports.

I will wait for the latest hotfix to be applied on the PAS server and see what happens.

My theory is that this problem is related to how much data that will be sent to PAS 6.3(and SQL Server 2005) when you publish a briefing book.

How are the slicers in briefing books stored in PAS 6.3 /SQL Server 2005?

BR

Thomas Ivarsson

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:48 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

I think the latest version of PAS should help you.  Your hunch is likely correct regarding data volume being the culprit.  There was an issue in the release version of PAS 6.3 that truncated data being sent to the client if the data reached a certain size.  I'm guessing this is what you're seeing.  Installing the latest hotfix on PAS should resolve it.

Regarding your slicer question, all slicer information is essentially hierarchy selection information.  This is all stored in the briefing book xml, which is stored in the PAS database when the book is published to PAS.  When that XML is sent to the client, the client recognizes particular hierarchy selections as being for a slicer, queries the cube for those values, and then loads them into the slicer control, with the default selection being the Where clause value for that hierarchy in the MDX for the view.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you for the information!

BR

Thomas Ivarsson

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:21 AM
  • I am having the same problem and we have build 2214. Which version of PAS fixes this?

Thanks

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:54 PM
  • I think I maybe onto something. The end user had selected a large customer list and saved it without using descendants. I saved the book with the rogue view in xml. This obviously gave over 6K customers in xml for the slicer as follows:

Code Snippet
            <Member>
              <Member Name="[Customer].[Customer Name - Acct].&amp;[19233]" MDID="7771"/>
              </Member>
             <Member>
              <Member Name="[Customer].[Customer Name - Acct].&amp;[60522]" MDID="7772"/>
              </Member>
             <Member>

I removed this slicer completely from the row, saved as bbk, it took a long time. Then saved as xml. The customer list was still present giving 1.1mb xml file including the original customer list. This was not deleted properly from the xml. Can one of the Microsoft Engineers investigate this?

I think this is where the bug is. I remember in late 2005 if you added permissions to a cube and removed them, you had to manually go and mess with the xml to remove the permissions, similar to the error here.

Update

I resolved this by recreating the view using Descendants and can now publish.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:02 PM
  • When you removed the slicer, did you just select the all member for the Customer dimension?  After that query ran with the all member, did you add the new view to the briefing book before you saved it?

If yes to this, which XML file were you looking at when you saw the large amount of text?  Was it the briefing book page or the MDStore page?

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:33 PM
  • It was the briefing book page.xml that was large. I tried different ways to remove the slicer but it still retained the large block of data.

Just to clarify, I had to completely delete the view, publish and then recreate the view. There were two rogue views that had to be given this treatment. This is on 6.3 build 2214.

I understand that TJ used the same book (it was sent via support) and was able to publish using V 2216. We have not upgraded the client's server yet as we will have to go through internal QA before we can do that.

Monday, September 8, 2008 4:15 PM