none
2nd standard rate for each resource RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a second Standard Rate / day for each resource so that we can report on full cost and say 80% of full cost.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• LMC --

Yes, you have enter up to 5 rates for each resource for Standard Rate, Overtime Rate, and Cost Per Use rates.  To do this, double-click the name of a resource in the Resource Sheet view of your project.  In the Resource Information dialog, click the Costs tab.  You will see 5 Cost Rate Tables with worksheet tabs labeled A through E.  Cost Rate Table A shows the default cost rates that are used to calculate the assignment cost when you initially assign a resource to a task.  Cost Rate Tables B through E are alternate rates you can use.  In your situation, you would want to use Cost Rate Table B for your 80% rate.

After assigning a resource to a task, you can change the Cost Rate Table used on the assignment by flipping to the Task Usage view, double-clicking on the assignment (the resource name indented and italicized below the task name), and then selecting the new Cost Rate Table in the Cost Rate Table pick list.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:09 PM
  • LMC,

Yes, Project has the ability to use 5 different cost tables (A through E) for each resource. The normal standard rate you see on the Resource Sheet is actually from cost rate table A. Each of those tables can have up to 25 time based rates (e.g. the first rate effective from now until some desired date, then a new rate effective from that date to another date, etc). You can see those cost tables by going to the Resource Sheet and then selecting resource information. Click on the Cost tab of the Resource Information window.

To select the desired cost table for each assignment, display the Resource or Task Usage views. Add the Cost Rate Table as a column in the view. Then select the desired cost rate table from the selection list.

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Hi Dale

Thanks for that, I've tried it and it works well if you want to have different rates for specific tasks.

What I want is to be able to use the A rate and show this on a table for the entire project and then uyse the B Rate and let this show for the entire project.  What I've done in the meantime is used a custom field (Cost1) calculation is the Cost1=Cost*.8  I can then show this field in a table and can custom the Budget Report to include this field.  Not ideal but working.

Louise

Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Louise,

Project can only calculate cost for any given task using one rate table at a time. If all you need is a simple relationship (e.g. Cost1=Cost*0.8), then your custom field is the best choice. If the cost factor is more complex or not linear, you could set the rate table as A, show the cost and then copy that to an extra cost field (e.g. Cost1). Then select rate table B and do the same thing into another extra cost field.

John

Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:56 PM
  • LMC - are you trying to do client charge rates and your internal costs at the same time?  I have had many clients ask for this and it is not part of the software.  

Creating an extra column with formulas to generate the cost values is the best way to go.  Part of the problem, however, that you will run into is that the multiple rates for the resource do not populate on the task side when an assignment is made.  If you assign only 1 person to a task, you can create a formula to multiply the number of actual hours times an alternate rate (held in cost1) and provide the result in cost2.   You might need to add extra cost fields for any material, fixed or cost field values and accumulate them all into an internal total cost field.  Then use that value to compare to Total cost. 

Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Lousie --

Now that I understand your needs, I like your approach of using a custom Cost field with a formula that calculates 80% of the current Cost for each task.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:50 PM