Cannot open Word documents on desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I've had this happen to 2 separate users today.

All of our users use Folder Redirection for the desktop and documents folders. Any Word documents in these folders fail to open when double-clicked on directly. A shortcut to Word on the Desktop will also fail. 

Error message: The item referred to by this shortcut cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions.

I have triple checked the permissions for folder redirection and can confirm the users do have permission. They're able to open Excel files and non-Office products from the desktop just fine. The only thing affected is Word.

Opening Word from the start menu, then going through File->Open-> (file name) works just fine. 

Windows 7 Pro w/ Office 2010. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:02 PM

Answers

• It seems when any Word document is opened in a redirected folder, it's trying to open a number of Excel spreadsheets in another user's folder. We'll call that user Jason, because that's his name.

I recently had an issue with Jason's AD account. He wasn't able to access anything in his redirected folders & when I looked at his account on the DC, it reported it as missing. ADSI Edit didn't have him listed at all. After the DC was rebooted, there was no trace of him that I could find. I created another AD account for him, redid the permissions on the redirected folders, and all seemed well until this.

After discovering this last night, I backed up his actual documents and removed his AD account and redirected folders. I created a new account, logged into another Windows PC, and copied his documents manually back to his new profile. That all seems to be working.

The users who were experiencing this Word issue then got messages stating each shortcut that was on his desktop can no longer be found, and asked if I wanted to delete the short cut. Answering yes to all of them allowed me to open the Word documents, but it's still trying to find two documents that were in Jason's folders.

I think it's safe to say this is no longer a Windows 7 issue. I'll hit up the AD forum, but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Friday, August 31, 2012 4:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carl Marshall Friday, August 31, 2012 12:14 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:01 PM

All replies

• 1. Does this means that two users have problem, but others do not?

2. Folder redirection is tricky. Use Process Monitor to pinpoint the problem.

3. Are there any traces in Event logs?

4. Remember that Word is creating temporary file.

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Some users are affected, some not. I didn't see any event logs entries when I looked. 

I'm waiting for the user to be finished with a meeting in his office, then I'll run in and use Process Monitor to see what's going on. I hadn't considered the fact that Word is creating a temporary file. I'll report back...

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Is that happening in a single machine or every machine the user has logged in.

If it is in a single machine, you can try profile renaming and check with the newly loaded profile.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:36 AM
  • It seems when any Word document is opened in a redirected folder, it's trying to open a number of Excel spreadsheets in another user's folder. We'll call that user Jason, because that's his name.

I recently had an issue with Jason's AD account. He wasn't able to access anything in his redirected folders & when I looked at his account on the DC, it reported it as missing. ADSI Edit didn't have him listed at all. After the DC was rebooted, there was no trace of him that I could find. I created another AD account for him, redid the permissions on the redirected folders, and all seemed well until this.

After discovering this last night, I backed up his actual documents and removed his AD account and redirected folders. I created a new account, logged into another Windows PC, and copied his documents manually back to his new profile. That all seems to be working.

The users who were experiencing this Word issue then got messages stating each shortcut that was on his desktop can no longer be found, and asked if I wanted to delete the short cut. Answering yes to all of them allowed me to open the Word documents, but it's still trying to find two documents that were in Jason's folders.

I think it's safe to say this is no longer a Windows 7 issue. I'll hit up the AD forum, but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Friday, August 31, 2012 4:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carl Marshall Friday, August 31, 2012 12:14 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hi

We are having the same issue, below is what we are experiencing/tried.

We use Windows 7 SP1 clients with Roaming Profile and Folder Redirection and they are connected to a Windows 2008 SP2 server.  We are getting issues when someone tries to open files on their redirected Desktop and they get the message "'The item referred to by this shortcut cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions" if you click browse it then defaults to a different users profile.  If you click through the errors the file eventually loads.  If you open Word from the Start menu and then browse to the file it opens fine.  We have found that deleteting the Normal.DOTM file sometimes fixes the error, but only seems effective 50% of the time.  This doesn't happen for all users, and seems to occur in small groups and not all the time.  We have also had the same message come up with someone trying to open Word files an online learning resource we have created.

There are a couple of events showing for about the time the error occured they are:

Type Error Source Application Error Category Name 100 Event 1000
    Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 14.0.4762.1000, time stamp: 0x4bae25b7
    Faulting module name: wwlib.dll, version: 14.0.4762.1000, time stamp: 0x4bae2623
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00034b81
    Faulting process id: 0x1734
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0234ef75c42aa
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\wwlib.dll
    Report Id: 6f74438b-8f42-11e4-9e45-00c2c6506cb5

Type information Source Office Software Protection Platform Service Category Name 0 Event 1003The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check.
    Application Id=59a52881-a989-479d-af46-f275c6370663
    Licensing Status=
    1: 1f76e346-e0be-49bc-9954-70ec53a4fcfe, 1, 1 [(0 [0x00000000, 1, 0], [(?)(?)( 1 0x00000000 30 0 msft:rm/algorithm/hwid/4.0 0x00000000 0)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]
    2: 9da2a678-fb6b-4e67-ab84-60dd6a9c819a, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]
    3: dd457678-5c3e-48e4-bc67-a89b7a3e3b44, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0], [(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)(?)])(1 )(2 )]

The software protection message we get in clusters of about 6 or more multiple times through the day

Cheers

Dave

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:46 PM