none
File saves in Project Server 2007, but not 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of transitioning a Project Server from v2007 to v2010.  Our Server is currently in v2010 with backward compatibility mode turned on while we transition all our users to 2010 clients.

We have a file that opens fine and saves fine in v2007 clients, however when we open it in a 2010 client it will not save.  There is no indicator at the bottom of the window that it is saving and the Server queue never registers the save request.  The file will also not check-in with a 2010 client.  The problem so far seems to be isolated to a single file, so it is not systemic.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 2:33 PM

Answers

• Chris --

Save for Sharing is NOT the same as doing a File > Save As and then saving as an MPP file.  Please read my blog post on the issue before you decide a course of action.  And please let us know how this all turns out.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:51 PM

All replies

• Chris --

Hmmm, might suspicious behavior.  My knee jerk reaction is that this project is corrupted.  If that is the case, you might be able to use the Save for Sharing feature to resolve the corruption.  Refer to my blog post on how to set up and use the Save for Sharing feature:

http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=197

Please let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Hi Dale!

Yes, corruption might be the issue, but I am not thrilled with the idea of doing a Save for Sharing.  This file has a TON of SharePoint deliverables and is a key file for users that link to those Deliverables.  It also has lots of links to Deliverables.  I don't want to do anything that might wipe out those links.

What is running thru my head right now is that there is something in the file that is okay in v2007 but unacceptable in v2010.  I noticed that the file had some blank lines and I have heard before that there are occasionally problems with blank lines.  Those are now gone.  I have also done a restore of the version that was backed-up on Thanksgiving.  So far, no change in status. 

Of interest, if we try to do a file==>close, it gives the popup that prompts to save or discard your changes.  If you choose "discard, then the row below that lets you choose check-in or leave checked-out becomes grayed-out.  Thus, the file stays in check-out mode and requires a forced check-in.

I have pinged my IT people to get this gal a 2007 license, again, so that she could at least keep on working in the interim.

This is putting a crimp in my ability to escape for lunch to do some Christmas shopping.  :(

Chris

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:42 PM
  • The file is corrupted
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Chris --

Save for Sharing is NOT the same as doing a File > Save As and then saving as an MPP file.  Please read my blog post on the issue before you decide a course of action.  And please let us know how this all turns out.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Dale -

You are correct.  There are no impacts to Type=1 or Type=2 SharePoint items!!!

This seems to have cleared up the problem!  You are MY HERO!!!! Remind me when I come up to NY for my 2013 training to buy you a beer!

Chris

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Chris --

I am happy that my solution worked for you.  When you come to NYC for your 2013 training, you will not see me there.  I do not live in NYC.  I live in a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri called Wildwood.  But thanks for your kind offer anyway!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:20 PM