none
Hyper-V machines keep freezing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Here is my issue:

I have a brand new PowerEdge R540, Windows Server 2016 on which I installed the Hyper-V role.  I allocated a separate data connection to be used for VM traffic.

I set up several Windows 10  machines, installed Norton Internet Security and the required Windows updates.  However, during the course of the day I noticed that I could no longer connect to some of the VMs.  I have not had this issue with other Hyper-V host servers or VMs that I have worked with in the past.

I can ping the VMs but cannot RDP to them.  Even in the Hyper-V console I cannot connect to the VM.  If I try to shut down the VM it freezes at 90% and will not shut down. I have had to choose the Turn Off option several times over the course of two days since the VMs were created.

The following is an error I see in the event viewer on the VM after I select Turn Off and reboot the VM.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

****************************************************************************************

Log Name:      Application

Source:        ESENT

Date:          10/1/2019 4:53:41 PM

Event ID:      533

Task Category: General

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Dan-T5600-.domain.com

Description:

svchost (2828,T,0) SRUJet: A request to write to the file "C:\Windows\system32\SRU\SRUtmp.log" at offset 0 (0x0000000000000000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes has not completed for 36 second(s). This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="ESENT" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">533</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>1</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-10-01T20:53:41.094034800Z" />

<EventRecordID>1013</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Dan-T5600-VM.domain.com</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>svchost</Data>

<Data>2828,T,0</Data>

<Data>SRUJet: </Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\system32\SRU\SRUtmp.log</Data>

<Data>0 (0x0000000000000000)</Data>

<Data>4096 (0x00001000)</Data>

<Data>36</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

r

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>I can ping the VMs but cannot RDP to them.  Even in the Hyper-V console I cannot connect to the VM. 

Are there any error messages when you cannot connect to the VM?

Also ,check the Hyper-V-VMMS log on the hyper-v host to see if there is anything related for us to troubleshooting.

Please understand, to solidly troubleshoot the freeze issues, we generally need to debug the crash dump files.

Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. We can only provide some general suggestions here.

If the issue still occurs, a support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. We'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Here is an article talking about how to troubleshoot the freeze issues, you might have a look:

Advanced troubleshooting for Windows-based computer freeze issues

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, October 3, 2019 5:29 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, October 7, 2019 5:22 AM
  • Hi ,

Since the issue was only affect windows 10 1903, there might be some early adopter issues at this time with Windows 10 1903. If possible, I would recommend you wait a bit until Windows 10 1903 matures with future cumulative updates.

If the issue is urgent, I would suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:41 AM