Remove MSI on remote machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Scripting Guys. I have a locally developed MSI that I need to uninstall from a large number of machines in preparation to install the latest version. I have the original .msi file in a known location on all the devices. Do you have a script that uses Invoke-Command to run msiexec.exe rather than relying on WMI? I'd certainly appreciate your help. Have a great weekend.
    Friday, April 17, 2015 3:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the quick response and I gave that some thought. However, I do not want to uninstall this application from all workstations across the network, just a selected number. I'd really like to script this out. Thanks again.

Group Policy can be filtered to a select set of workstations.

You can also design your MSI to do an upgrade so you do not need to do a separate uninstall. Talk to your developers about how to do this.

As Bill has suggested you can look in the Repository or you can write your own script to do a remote install.  This can be done with PowerShell remoting or with WMI.  Installers are tricky.  If you do  not have experience with installer technology and systems level upgrades and scripting yyou would be better off hiring a consultant.

If you choose to write a script you can post here with specific questions.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, May 18, 2015 3:43 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 5:29 PM

All replies

• MSIs can be easily installed unattended through Group Policy.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, April 17, 2015 4:24 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response and I gave that some thought. However, I do not want to uninstall this application from all workstations across the network, just a selected number. I'd really like to script this out. Thanks again.
    Friday, April 17, 2015 5:06 PM
  • The purpose of this forum is to answer specific scripting questions. We don't have the resources to write scripts to specific specifications.

However, you may be able to search the script repository to see if there is something that might be similar to what you want to do.

You can ask for someone to write a script for you at the script request page. Keep in mind that there is no service-level agreement that means someone is obligated to write a script for you.

If this is time-sensitive and you're not familiar with scripting, I would recommend hiring a consultant to help you.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, April 17, 2015 5:16 PM

Group Policy can be filtered to a select set of workstations.

You can also design your MSI to do an upgrade so you do not need to do a separate uninstall. Talk to your developers about how to do this.

As Bill has suggested you can look in the Repository or you can write your own script to do a remote install.  This can be done with PowerShell remoting or with WMI.  Installers are tricky.  If you do  not have experience with installer technology and systems level upgrades and scripting yyou would be better off hiring a consultant.

If you choose to write a script you can post here with specific questions.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, May 18, 2015 3:43 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 5:29 PM