App-V 4.5 Clients don't log useage information to 4.2 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Folks,

We are having an issue whereby a 4.5 client doesn't log any useage information to our SoftGrid 4.2 server infrastructure. The clients launch and run applications successfully just no record of which apps the users are starting. The 4.5 clients are all running under vista.

Are there any tweaks\updates that are necessary to be applied to the servers or are there settings in the clients that need to be set?

Any machine with a 4.2 client logs useage information successfully into the server architecture.

Thanks for any help,

Martin Searle
    University of Kent
    Monday, September 28, 2009 11:39 AM

Answers

• Martin,

Has this worked before? I ask this because I'm not too sure about 4.5 clients even being able to log usage information against 4.1/4.2 servers since in 4.5 there was some changes to how clients and server communicate over RTSP (pre-4.5 clients couldn't even have any meaningful communication with 4.5 servers so protocol level changes here). Also 4.5 clients introduced usage information caching which probably relates to this and 4.1 server is not able to receive cached usage information as it did not exist back in that version.

So you should upgrade your VAS servers to 4.5 Management Servers in order to fully utilize 4.5 features.

br,
    Kalle
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I believe there is a second thread posted here regarding a similiar type of issue. I have posted a similiar issue, however not relating to an upgrade scenario.

I have the following additional conclusions apart from what is previously is written;
    The Dr Watson engine has to be installed with the correct GUID passed on, an the setup.exe always seems to get it right.

/Znack
    Monday, September 28, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Looking at my 4.2 server it is running v4.1.1.302(RTM) I notice that there is a later version available 4.1.3.16.

Should the later version be the answer to this issue?

Martin Searle
    University of Kent
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:26 AM
  • Hello,

I would verify that all clients are upgraded to the latest APP-V Version and then ensure that they are using the corresponding server-version.

Since I am unaware of any log-entries or what additional troubleshooting you have done, wether this is relevant or not I have no clue of.

/Znack
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Martin,

Has this worked before? I ask this because I'm not too sure about 4.5 clients even being able to log usage information against 4.1/4.2 servers since in 4.5 there was some changes to how clients and server communicate over RTSP (pre-4.5 clients couldn't even have any meaningful communication with 4.5 servers so protocol level changes here). Also 4.5 clients introduced usage information caching which probably relates to this and 4.1 server is not able to receive cached usage information as it did not exist back in that version.

So you should upgrade your VAS servers to 4.5 Management Servers in order to fully utilize 4.5 features.

br,
    Kalle
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:26 AM