SharePoint 2007 Task List RRS feed

• Question

• A client wants to have Task list. The task list will assign ownership of the person responsible for completing that task. But, the client wants everyone restricted from seeing the list. Meaning a few people will have Full Control rights. And the client only wants the people to see their own assigned task. So, if a task is assigned to me, I can only see that task. I can not see anyone else's. How do I do this without custom coding?

Brandon Gunter
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

• I have found the answer trying some things out in SharePoint 2007. I looked @ the task list and took each requirement 1 by 1. My clients only wanted their particular group to see all of the tasks, so I created a group for the list that had 'Full Control' permissions. I did not inherit from the parent. Next, when a task is assigned that person can only see their task. This was the tricky part. In a task list you have many different views; All tasks, my tasks, active tasks, due today, by assigned to, and by my groups. Each time you click on these views, they are different webparts displayed on the page. So, I modified All tasks, active tasks, due today, by assigned to, and by my groups by going to Site Actions and then Edit page. I used the Target Audiences for the group that was created with 'Full Control'. I left my tasks alone because clients only want the employees to see their own particular task. So when a task is assigned to an individual and they receive the email. It will take them to their tasks that are due for them. They can not go in the views and modify them. They will only see a blank page.

Thanks for your advice!!

Brandon Gunter
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, October 14, 2011 1:23 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:49 PM

All replies

• You can use List view Filter option to filter based on assigned to user, Go to Modify View and Set Filter Field Name (i.e. Assign to) is equal to [Me]. Add this List as a Web Part with view menu hidden and provide user access to Web Part page
    --Cheers
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Try to look for the permissions. Go to the Task List and then Settings > Permissions for this list.
    Regards, Vishwas
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:39 AM
  • I have found the answer trying some things out in SharePoint 2007. I looked @ the task list and took each requirement 1 by 1. My clients only wanted their particular group to see all of the tasks, so I created a group for the list that had 'Full Control' permissions. I did not inherit from the parent. Next, when a task is assigned that person can only see their task. This was the tricky part. In a task list you have many different views; All tasks, my tasks, active tasks, due today, by assigned to, and by my groups. Each time you click on these views, they are different webparts displayed on the page. So, I modified All tasks, active tasks, due today, by assigned to, and by my groups by going to Site Actions and then Edit page. I used the Target Audiences for the group that was created with 'Full Control'. I left my tasks alone because clients only want the employees to see their own particular task. So when a task is assigned to an individual and they receive the email. It will take them to their tasks that are due for them. They can not go in the views and modify them. They will only see a blank page.

Thanks for your advice!!

Brandon Gunter
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, October 14, 2011 1:23 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:49 PM
  • If you do what you outlined, the users still have Contribute access to the task list.  So, the page you've created gives the users -- who should only see the task they were assigned to -- the proper view, but can't they circumvent that by going to "View all Site Content" and clicking directly on the list to access the "All Tasks" view?  Since they have contribute access, they would still be able to see everything this way.  Right?

I'm trying to figure out how to do this, and I seem to be missing something.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Angela Hohman

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:42 PM
  • No, they should not be able to see that view because it is still the AllItems.aspx page that is Targeted for a particular audience. In a sense, I have just block the pages (.aspx) from being seen. If they type 'MyItems' instead of 'AllItems' in the last part of the URL then they will see only their items. Anyway, when they receive this task in their email, if they click to view the Log (View 'Log') then it restricts them as it should, but if they click on the actual task (View 'Task Name') they will see a form that they can not edit but just information on what task is at hand.

Brandon Gunter
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:20 PM
  • I tried it again, and it worked!  This is a great solution.  Nice job!  One last question though...  in essence, aren't we using Audiences to set permissions?  Isn't this a bit risky in some way?

Angela Hohman

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Yes, in essence we are. But, in most business situations this is what the client wants; their group to see info no one else can. No regular employee will know how to alter URLs and such, they just want to get to the information. With the permission group I have, only the main group has full control over that task list, the others have read-only. The greatness of SharePoint is that I can Target Audience.

I'm glad it worked for you!  

Brandon Gunter
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:15 PM