none
Some free tapes are not used by backup job - dpm 2012 r2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have DPM 2012 R2 with IBM TotalStorage 3572 tape library. It is 8 slot tape library. All was working with initial 8 tapes I added to tape library. I had one Protection group to be archived on 8 tapes. I was doing Daily and weekly backups. Every 2nd week I would do a weekly backup and keep it for 2 weeks i.e. I need 2 tapes for weekly backups. All was working ok until I introduced two new weekly tapes as a replacement for 2 weekly tapes in library. Because of disaster recovery procedure - I have to take weekly tapes out of library and store them in disaster recovery location for some time. So I pulled out 2 weekly tapes and added 2 new tapes. New tapes were marked free and they are showing as Free tapes.

Now - the trouble is that these 2 free tapes are not used by backup job and instead - backup job writes weekly backup on any of the available Daily tapes (like from 4-5 days ago) instead of using one of the Free tapes that are available.

I'd like the backup job (Protection group) to use Free tapes first and only if there are no available free tapes - to go and do backup on Daily tape or ask for a free tape.

I am probably doing something wrong here - so I would really appriciate if anyone can help me with this? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Damir.

D.

Friday, April 4, 2014 1:57 PM