none
Merge project files in MS Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to merge project files in MS Project 2010 from 5 diffferent people. Each one has a unique set of resources, but have a common set of Summary tasks.

The dependencies inside each file are self consistent , in a sense that they don’t depend on other’s .mpp files.

The problem is when we copy the tasks from one .mpp and try to paste to a new one, most of the times, we loose the dependencies.

Is there a proper way to do this ?

Thanks, Prashant

Monday, May 13, 2013 5:31 PM

Answers

• It should work OK. I have done this many times.

Make sure you are copying the entire task, not just a portion of the task. The selection should highlight the entire line.

You have to copy the tasks on both ends of the link. If your selections does not include the tasks on both ends of the link, the link will be broken. You cannot copy tasks one at a time and maintain the links.

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:15 PM
  • As Mike suggested copy entire row while pasting. Another method could be - insert those projects in this project and uncheck the link to project box while doing so. It will automatically insert all 4 plans in 5th plan and also retain predecessors.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:29 PM

All replies

• It should work OK. I have done this many times.

Make sure you are copying the entire task, not just a portion of the task. The selection should highlight the entire line.

You have to copy the tasks on both ends of the link. If your selections does not include the tasks on both ends of the link, the link will be broken. You cannot copy tasks one at a time and maintain the links.

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:15 PM
  • As Mike suggested copy entire row while pasting. Another method could be - insert those projects in this project and uncheck the link to project box while doing so. It will automatically insert all 4 plans in 5th plan and also retain predecessors.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Hi Mike/Sapna,

Thanks for the reply.

I will try and keep you posted.

Thanks, Prashant

Monday, May 13, 2013 8:49 PM
  • Prashant, please let us know if this is resolved and which solution worked for you.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:09 AM