none
pxe policy. access denied RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am running windows 2008 server standard on virtual server. I am setting up a test deploy environment for vista deployment.

When I add the windows deployment services to the server, I get this message at the end of adding the role.

-----
    Configuring Windows Deployment Services....

Configuring PXE Policy

Access is denied.
    -----

and the finish button is highlighted and I could continue. I would but this is the third time I am attempting to get the deployment services working properly. I think I may have missed this the first two times. The last two times I attempted to deploy vista with a pxe boot, I got pxe errors saying I had an access violation. I think this might be the root of the problem

Any help would be great.

W.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on the description, could you please check you have enough permissions to run WDS? Please use domain admin to logon the WDS server, and perform this task again. Does 'Access is denied' still persist?

<<If I right click the deployment server and go to properties and then then try and change something is PXE response settings I get an error message.>>

Regarding this, I suggest reinstalling the WDS. If this issue can't be solved, please send me CBS log under "%systemroot%\logs\CBS", Application event logs as well as System event logs in Event viewer and send them to me via v-morche@online.microsoft.com for further troubleshooting this IIS installation issue.

Due to the limitation of 2 MB attachment of my email, please pick out the WDS installation related entries in CBS log by using the index of time?

<<TFTP.  PXE-T04: Access voilation.PXE-E36: Error received from TFTP server .PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.>>

For this error, it may be caused by the network transmission, like network access, DHCP communication etc. Please make sure the client can get IP address successfully.

More information about how WDS work with DHCP, please refer to:

How to Manage Your Server:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/7d837d88-6d8e-420c-b68f-a5b4baeb52481033.mspx?mfr=true

Regards,

Morgan

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:37 AM

All replies

• update.

In WDS I can't seem to make any changes to my deployment server pxe properties.

If I right click the deployment server and go to properties and then then try and change something is PXE response settings I get an error message.

----
    Server properties error

Access is denied

----

I 99% sure this is why my pxe booting machines get pxe errors. Something is wrong with my pxe policy and I can't seem to change it.

When I pxe boot a machine I get

---
    TFTP.
    PXE-T04: Access voilation.
    PXE-E36: Error receieved from TFTP server
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    -----

any help?
    Friday, March 14, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

Based on the description, could you please check you have enough permissions to run WDS? Please use domain admin to logon the WDS server, and perform this task again. Does 'Access is denied' still persist?

<<If I right click the deployment server and go to properties and then then try and change something is PXE response settings I get an error message.>>

Regarding this, I suggest reinstalling the WDS. If this issue can't be solved, please send me CBS log under "%systemroot%\logs\CBS", Application event logs as well as System event logs in Event viewer and send them to me via v-morche@online.microsoft.com for further troubleshooting this IIS installation issue.

Due to the limitation of 2 MB attachment of my email, please pick out the WDS installation related entries in CBS log by using the index of time?

<<TFTP.  PXE-T04: Access voilation.PXE-E36: Error received from TFTP server .PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.>>

For this error, it may be caused by the network transmission, like network access, DHCP communication etc. Please make sure the client can get IP address successfully.

More information about how WDS work with DHCP, please refer to:

How to Manage Your Server:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/7d837d88-6d8e-420c-b68f-a5b4baeb52481033.mspx?mfr=true

Regards,

Morgan

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:37 AM
  • Hi Morgan,

I am also having the same problem with WDS.  I am running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise with SP2 installed.  If I right-click the deployment server, go to properties, then try to change
    something & click [OK], I get the following error message:

Dialog box title: Server properties error
    Dialog box message: Access is denied

When I am logged in as myself (with administrative privileges to the server)
    I receive the error.  If I login as domain administrator, I do NOT receive
    the error.

Do you know what is causing this?  Any advice that you could provide is
    greatly appreciated.

Also, where can I find a complete installation/use guide or whitepaper for
    WDS?  The best that I could find was the "Step-by-Step Guide for Windows
    Deployment Services in Windows Server 2003" which is not detailed enough.

Thanks!

Tom Hammond
    Technical Support Services
    The University of Akron Wayne College

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:28 PM
  • I am having the same issue and have still found no solution.

I am running Win Server 2003 SP2 with WDS (non-legacy mode). I went to set up my server and during setup, I recieved a message saying access was denied and pxe services could not be configured. After, I went in to manually configure the settings. WHen checked the radio button so pxe woudl respond to all computers (without admin prompt), It said access was denied. I tried changing the default computer naming scheme for Active Directory and it returned the same error.

Any found any solution to this yet?

Aaron

Friday, April 4, 2008 8:08 PM
  • The reason for this is that some of the PXE settings reside on the server's AD object. Usually, in order to modify this attribute, you need to be a domain admin. Please look at the Permissions chapter of the WDS whitepaper for more information about this, as well as steps to delegate permissions for this action.

Take a look  at: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/4aca2aae-a9cf-4b5c-afb2-573603cf77b01033.mspx?mfr=true, in the "Permissions for Server Properties" section, at "PXE Response Settings".

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Perhaps this is a little too late but I do believe I found the solution.
    I requested a DA account from our network guys. Once I had it, I logged into the pxe server with it and attempted to change the pxe settings pertaining to this issue. All changes were successful without issue.
    It's a pretty big thing to get a DA account from the network guys (took me two weeks) but it should fix your problem if you can get those permissions.
    --- Regards, Aaron Ball
    • Proposed as answer by Aaron Ball Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:00 PM
  • This fixed the issue - good link.

Instructions were:

Permissions to create accounts in the domain, as well as write to the properties of a computer object.

To grant permissions to prestage a computer

1. Open Active Directory Users and Computers .
    2. Right-click the organizational unit (OU) where you are creating prestaged computer accounts, and then select Delegate Control .
    3. On the first screen of the wizard, click Next .
    4. Add the user or group you wish to delegate control to, and then click Next .
    5. Select Create a Custom task to delegate .
    6. Select Only the following objects in the folder . Then select the Computer Objects check box, select Create selected objects in this folder , and click Next .
    7. In the Permissions box, select the Write all Properties check box, and click Finish .
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same Problem, with TFTP/PXE boot. When i start the client in PXE mode it receives an IP And then occurs the familiar error.

I have attached WDS log file for your reference.

Error from the client machine:

#PXE-T04: Access Violation

#PXE-E36: Error received from TFTP server

#PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM

Logs from MDT Server:

UDPPorts] Allocated dynamic port 64932.

[1560] 09:36:09: Dynamic Port: 64932

[1560] 09:36:09: [WDSTFTP][UDP][Ep=64932] Registered

[1560] 09:36:09: UpdEndpoint::UdpEndpoint = 000000000167A660

[1560] 09:36:09: [WDSTFTP][UDP][Ep=172.16.100.209:64932][0x000000000167A660] Created

[1560] 09:36:09: [715319][WDSTFTP] TftpSession[0x0000000001489060:172.16.35.72:2071] - Initialized: Local=172.16.100.209:69

[1560] 09:36:09: [715319][WDSTFTP] [d:\w7rtm\base\ntsetup\opktools\wds\transport\server\tftp\tftpsession.cpp:573] Expression: , Win32 Error=0x5

[1560] 09:36:09: [715319][WDSTFTP] [d:\w7rtm\base\ntsetup\opktools\wds\transport\server\tftp\tftpsession.cpp:621] Expression: , Win32 Error=0x5

[1560] 09:36:09: [715319][WDSTFTP] [d:\w7rtm\base\ntsetup\opktools\wds\transport\server\tftp\tftpserver.cpp:626] Expression: , Win32 Error=0x5

[772] 09:36:09: [WDSTFTP][UDP][Ep=172.16.100.209:64937] Deleted.

[772] 09:36:09: [715335][WDSTFTP] TftpSession[0x00000000013F7260:172.16.35.72:2070] - Endpoint Removed. Killing session.

[772] 09:36:09: UpdEndpoint::~UdpEndpoint = 0000000001486B20

[772] 09:36:09: [WDSTFTP][UDP][Ep=0] Closed

Further i tried to get the WDS config information in the command line but getting the below error msg.

Command : WDSUTIL /Get-Server /Show:Config

Regards,

MAHESH

Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Mahesh - you're hitting a separate issue. Your TFTP client is trying to download a file that the server doesn't allow access to (error 0x5 is ACCESS_DENIED.)

Can you explain in more detail what your server configuration and scenario is?

Friday, December 2, 2011 8:11 PM