Inactivated rules, can't upload to Microsoft Exchange. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.

I am running Outlook 365 using a Gmail and a Live account. Since I have shifted to use the Live account instead of my Gmail account as the data file I can't no longer use or update my rules that previously were connected to the Gmail account. 

I get the error: One or several rules has been inactivated, can't upload to Microsoft Exchange. Certain parameters are not supported or there is not enough space to save all rules. (Free translation from Swedish.)

I have understood there could be many reasons to why this error occur, e.g. an Exchange limitation that I think the Live account use.

I have reduced the amount of rules but I still get this error. What more can I do to avoid the error.

Thanks!

Humbledore

• Moved by Manu Meng Tuesday, February 5, 2019 2:22 AM relocate
    Saturday, February 2, 2019 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.

I am running Outlook 365 using a Gmail and a Live account. Since I have shifted to use the Live account instead of my Gmail account as the data file I can't no longer use or update my rules that previously were connected to the Gmail account. 

I get the error: One or several rules has been inactivated, can't upload to Microsoft Exchange. Certain parameters are not supported or there is not enough space to save all rules. (Free translation from Swedish.)

I have understood there could be many reasons to why this error occur, e.g. an Exchange limitation that I think the Live account use.

I have reduced the amount of rules but I still get this error. What more can I do to avoid the error.

Thanks!

Humbledore

Recreate the rules is probably the best option.
    Saturday, February 2, 2019 1:50 PM
  • Agree with Andy, although the error message involves "Microsoft Exchange", it is more likely an Outlook issue since both accounts are not using Exchange mailboxes. If you don't mind, I will help move the thread to Outlook specialized forum.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 4, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Thanks,

I'm noticing that if I enable the old rules one by one when a corresponding email enters my inbox it seems that:

1) the rule works fine when I explicitly run it.

2) the rule can be saved without any error and uploaded to my rules list at outlook.com.

I continue this strategy until any error occurs.  

I also wonder where the rules are saved. In my gmail.pst file or in the live.ost file? Or in some other file...?

Humbledore

Monday, February 4, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi Humbledore,

Based on my research, outlook.com account has a limitation of having up to 256KB of rules active at a time. This storage space allows around 100 rules, but the number may reduce significantly when you have more complex rules. If the amount of your rules is large, please try enabling fewer rules at once and check the result. 

Regarding your concern about the location of rules, not quite sure about how you managed to "shift to use the Live account instead of my Gmail account as the data file ", but generally the rules are stored in the data file (PST or OST files). And rules are NOT included when you Import and Export pst files. To backup or move rules, we can import or export rules to rwz file using the instructions in this article:

Import or export a set of rules

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:38 PM
  • Hi Humbledore,

I am writing to see how everything is going with the issue. If the reply above was useful, do you mind helping mark it as answer so that it can be beneficial to others who encounter a similar question?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Friday, February 15, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Thanks,

I'm still struggling to get all rules enabled. A couple of days ago suddenly all rules were disabled so I had to start all over again... 

And just now all rules were disabled again. And when I try to enable one single rule I got the message 'One or more rules has been deactivated due to upload problem to Microsoft Exchange. Some parameters might not be supported or not enough memory to save all rules.' (Free translation from Swedish.) See image below. 

Is it something I could do to improve the performance of this feature? It seem to doesn't work that well... Like for instance maximize memory etcetera?

EDIT: When all my rules vanished from outlook.com I tried to create a new rule from the rules manager within outlook.com. The step procedure goes fine - but no rule is saved/visible after saving. Quite disappointing this experience so far.

I really hope there is plan to improve this functionality!

Regards,

Per 

Humbledore

• Edited by Humbledore Monday, February 18, 2019 2:44 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2019 1:54 PM
  • Hi Humbledore,

From the image you shared above, it seems that most of your rules are client-only, which means they will only process when Outlook is running and cannot be viewed from web mail. 

Given current situation, please try backing up the rules using the instructions in the link I shared above: Import or export a set of rules. Then clean all rules:

1. Exit the Microsoft Outlook.
    2. Open the Run dialog box with pressing the Win key and R key at the same time.
    3.  In the Run dialog box, enter the outlook.exe /cleanrules in the Open box, and click the OK button.
    4. Restart Outlook with all rules removed completely.
    5. Recreate the client rules one by one to check the result.

Note: Each rule you create will take up space in a hidden section of your mailbox. There is a limitation on the size of this section, so it is suggested to not have too many rules activated at the same time. Personally, I'd like to recommend using alternatives like search folders to replace some rule when there are more than 15 or 20 rules for the account.  

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 5:41 AM