locked
Unattend.xml file not always being applied RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all,

    Been having an issue since updating to MDT 2013 Update 2, whereas a task sequence's Unattend.xml file will not always apply.

    I have a Windows 10 Pro x64 task sequence, with an Unattend.xml file configured with some information (Copy Profile (which includes desktop background), skip all the OOBE screens, create a "local admin" user, etc.). 

    If I deploy this to a VM, all works fine. If I deploy this to a Surface Pro 3, it's not being applied (the desktop background isn'T being applied, the local admin user isn't being created, etc.). 

    At first I thought it was a problem with the Unattend.xml, so I recreated it from scratch (I usually use an XML template file), and it still didn't work. 

    Here is a ZIP file with both, a working and non-working BDD.LOG files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fv2mljhszlld6d6/Working_Deployment_VM.zip?dl=0

    Is there something I'm doing wrong ? I used to do this exact same thing before updating to MDT 2013 Update 2 and it was working fine. 

    Thanks in advance! :)

    EDIT: Got some extra info that might help.

    I looked deeper into the logs, and found that for my Surface Pro 3 deployment, MDT tries to merge server Unattend with the local one, while the VM test doesn't.

    Here are the lines from the SP3 log: 

    Loaded C:\MININT\unattend.xml	ZTIConfigure	5/24/2016 11:30:31 AM	0 (0x0000)
    Merging \\SLMTL-WDS01\DeploymentShare$\Control\WIN10-007\Unattend.xml into C:\MININT\unattend.xml	ZTIConfigure	5/24/2016 11:30:31 AM	0 (0x0000)
    Loaded \\SLMTL-WDS01\DeploymentShare$\Control\WIN10-007\Unattend.xml for merging	ZTIConfigure	5/24/2016 11:30:31 AM	0 (0x0000)
    Searching for unattend[@xmlns='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend']	ZTIConfigure	5/24/2016 11:30:31 AM	0 (0x0000)
    Adding new child unattend[@xmlns='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend']	ZTIConfigure	5/24/2016 11:30:31 AM	0 (0x0000)
    Merge complete.	ZTIConfigure	5/24/2016 11:30:31 AM	0 (0x0000)
    

    Whereas the log from the VM only shows the very first line.

    I looked at older pre-MDT 2013 Update 2, for SP3 deployments, and only the first line showed up.

    How could I go about preventing this "merging" from happening, since it's clearly not working properly ?

    • Edited by SidLee_IT Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:24 PM Extra info
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:53 PM

Answers

  • This is already done. 
    I used the "blank" unattend.xml file created by MDT and made some modifications to it. 

    I then saved a copy of said file to another location to used it as a "template" for other TS, that is then copied to the TS_ID folder to replace the "blank" one created by MDT.

    For some reason, the problem solved itself. I did no modifications whatsoever, except I let the process complete and enabled the Mandatory Applications to be installed...Oh well, I guess we'll never know!

    • Marked as answer by SidLee_IT Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:54 PM

All replies

  • So you made a custom unattend correct? By default, MDT creates a blank unattend in the Control--> TS ID folder. You will have to replace MDT's unattend with YOUR file and all should be well.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 12:36 PM
  • This is already done. 
    I used the "blank" unattend.xml file created by MDT and made some modifications to it. 

    I then saved a copy of said file to another location to used it as a "template" for other TS, that is then copied to the TS_ID folder to replace the "blank" one created by MDT.

    For some reason, the problem solved itself. I did no modifications whatsoever, except I let the process complete and enabled the Mandatory Applications to be installed...Oh well, I guess we'll never know!

    • Marked as answer by SidLee_IT Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:54 PM