Copying a list between two different sub areas in the same site collection SharePoint 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I tried to export a list as a template with a content and when i try to create a list from this template in the other sub area i didn't find this template however when i try to open the create list page in the sub  area that contains the original list i found the template.

Can you please advice how i can copy the list between two different sub areas

Mohamed Gamal Orief Senior Software Engineer ITWORX EGYPT Phone: +202.2673.6377 Mobile:+2010.0552.7971 www.itworx.com

Sunday, September 8, 2013 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Mohamed Gamal Orief,

Do you mean your sub erea is sub-sites in the same site collection? When you create list in the same sub-site the list template saved, the list template is shown in create list page, but not shown in other sub-sites?

Based on my understanding, when saving a list as template, the template file is in the site collection list templates gallery. So, you should be able to see the template if you create list in the same site collection.

As a lack of SharePoint 2003 environment, would you please help to check whether you have the template file in the list template gallery (site settings->list templates).

Also, please check whether there is Content and Structure in SharePoint 2003 (Site Settings->Content and Structure), if so, we can use it to move/copy the list in the site collection.

Thanks,

Qiao

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 9, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Hi Mohamed,

Just to expand on what Qiao has said.  There are typically fourways to move a list: -

1. List Template
    2. Export then reimport the list as a spreadsheet
    3. Copy and paste via datasheet view
    4. Export the target list as an Excel sheet, paste your data into this and then refresh.  (SharePoint 2003 has a dual sync within Excel, removed in 2007)

What you describe sounds like you're trying to make this list in a different site collection.  If this is the case, the list template needs to be moved.  Something like this'll do it.

1. In your source site, go to site settings (top right) and look for list templates link.  Click on this
    2. Locate the one you want to move and right click it and then use "Save As..." link.  This will give you an stp file
    3. Go into the site settings for your target site and enter the list template settings
    4. Upload your list template from the first site.
    5. You should now see the list within the list creation options
    Monday, September 9, 2013 9:03 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Mohamed,

regarding this steps, please have a check on this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-sharepoint-services-help/copying-or-moving-sharepoint-lists-HA001154562.aspx

since 2003 quite different from 2007, perhaps need a bit work as example in this article:

http://heathersolomon.com/blog/articles/1300.aspx#Step4

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Mohamed Gamal Orief,

Do you mean your sub erea is sub-sites in the same site collection? When you create list in the same sub-site the list template saved, the list template is shown in create list page, but not shown in other sub-sites?

Based on my understanding, when saving a list as template, the template file is in the site collection list templates gallery. So, you should be able to see the template if you create list in the same site collection.

As a lack of SharePoint 2003 environment, would you please help to check whether you have the template file in the list template gallery (site settings->list templates).

Also, please check whether there is Content and Structure in SharePoint 2003 (Site Settings->Content and Structure), if so, we can use it to move/copy the list in the site collection.

Thanks,

Qiao

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 9, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Hi Mohamed,

Just to expand on what Qiao has said.  There are typically fourways to move a list: -

1. List Template
    2. Export then reimport the list as a spreadsheet
    3. Copy and paste via datasheet view
    4. Export the target list as an Excel sheet, paste your data into this and then refresh.  (SharePoint 2003 has a dual sync within Excel, removed in 2007)

What you describe sounds like you're trying to make this list in a different site collection.  If this is the case, the list template needs to be moved.  Something like this'll do it.

1. In your source site, go to site settings (top right) and look for list templates link.  Click on this
    2. Locate the one you want to move and right click it and then use "Save As..." link.  This will give you an stp file
    3. Go into the site settings for your target site and enter the list template settings
    4. Upload your list template from the first site.
    5. You should now see the list within the list creation options
    Monday, September 9, 2013 9:03 AM
    Answerer
  • hi,

the two sub site in the same site collection (i have only one site collection) and there is no Content and Structure in sharepoint 2003 i reach to another thing, it is  appeared on a sub site of this template (Topic area template) and not appeared when i try to create the list on a subsite of this template (Contents area template). can you please let me how i can let the template appeares on all templates

Mohamed Gamal Orief Senior Software Engineer ITWORX EGYPT Phone: +202.2673.6377 Mobile:+2010.0552.7971 www.itworx.com

Monday, September 9, 2013 10:46 AM
  • Hi Mohamed,

regarding this steps, please have a check on this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-sharepoint-services-help/copying-or-moving-sharepoint-lists-HA001154562.aspx

since 2003 quite different from 2007, perhaps need a bit work as example in this article:

http://heathersolomon.com/blog/articles/1300.aspx#Step4

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:05 AM
  • I've given you some steps to move the stp template from one site to another, they should also work here.  Do you have access to the list emplates gallery of the root site?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:45 AM
    Answerer