Sharepoint lab setup RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup sharepoint 2010 for leaning purposes. will i be able to learn all the functionality of sharepoint by installing it in a standalone environment with the default sql express database? If not can you please advise me on how to go about this? thanks in advance
    Monday, April 9, 2012 4:23 AM

Answers

• No Standard edition not supported for BI functionality, if so you need to go ahead with by installing SharePoint 2010 enterprise edition

Regards

Senthil.S

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:24 PM

All replies

• If you want a truly flexible setup, you can use the single server option with the full version of SQL Server on the same box. This gives you better performance and the ability to add servers (e.g., Search), or move the DB to another machine to build out a proper farm.

However, that only comes into play if those scenarios are important to you. From a dev or feature perspective, you'll be fine with standalone. But it's not like single server farm setup is difficult. What I do is create a single server Hyper-V VM, export it when it's working and then spin up a new instance from the export copy whenever I need one.

- cawood

blog |  twitter

Monday, April 9, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Not all the functionality of course. In production a SharePoint implementation usually includes several servers and requires dedicated servers for specific service applications sometimes.

Apart from that the functionalities available also depend on your license. Enterprise license includes more features.

In your case since you just started learning a standalone installation should be sufficient.

Here are the steps:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee554869.aspx

Little fish 920

Monday, April 9, 2012 5:01 AM
  • Thanks for the input guys, will i be able to use the BI functionality with this kind of setup? For example -preformance point and dashboards?
    Monday, April 9, 2012 2:17 PM
  • No Standard edition not supported for BI functionality, if so you need to go ahead with by installing SharePoint 2010 enterprise edition

Regards

Senthil.S

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:24 PM