none
Can't Print to a network printer RRS feed

• Question

• I'm unable to print to a network printer using 2.5 on XP Pro. I can click Quick Print icon, I can right click and I get the printer page and I select the correct printer and click Print, but then nothing happens. Is the printer service stopped or blocked? I don't even get an error message or conformation that "your document has been sent to the printer" like in a normal XP environment.

When I log in as admin, it works fine.

I've searched and not found any solutions (like here, but there's no solution). Is it just not possible to print to a network printer when using SteadyState,  and restrictions set to Low, Medium or High?

Friday, October 3, 2008 4:08 PM

Answers

•  Jorge Martín San Jose wrote:
    You can solve your problem if you click here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2005/12/02/unable-to-map-net-use-lpt1-in-windows-xp/

Regards

Thanks for the advice, it put me on the right track. I didn't map to a LPT port, but I mapped the printer to a local TCP/IP port instead, and now it works perfectly fine, even in High Restriction mode.

For those who have the same issue, just login as admin, add printer, and select Local Printer (uncheck plug and play), then click Create a New Port, and select Standard TCP/IP Port. In the next window, type the IP address and click Next, and it will ask for the drivers. After that, the printer will become a "local printer" that will be usable by the Restricted account.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have a few questions...

1. What application are you trying to print from? 
    2. What kind of printer are you using?
    3. If you select "no restrictions" on both restriction tabs for the restricted user in SteadyState, can you print?
    Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. It's not the printer. It works just fine when using another login. I use a Minolta C650 printer.

// Dejan

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 12:02 PM
  • You can solve your problem if you click here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2005/12/02/unable-to-map-net-use-lpt1-in-windows-xp/

Regards

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:03 PM
  •  Jorge Martín San Jose wrote:
    You can solve your problem if you click here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2005/12/02/unable-to-map-net-use-lpt1-in-windows-xp/

Regards

Thanks for the advice, it put me on the right track. I didn't map to a LPT port, but I mapped the printer to a local TCP/IP port instead, and now it works perfectly fine, even in High Restriction mode.

For those who have the same issue, just login as admin, add printer, and select Local Printer (uncheck plug and play), then click Create a New Port, and select Standard TCP/IP Port. In the next window, type the IP address and click Next, and it will ask for the drivers. After that, the printer will become a "local printer" that will be usable by the Restricted account.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:18 PM