none
Is it possible to apply a GPOPACK to Windows 8.1 in MDT 2013/ADK for 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• We are aware that SCM does not have a basline for Windows 8.1. I have seen Johan post about adding the code to the ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf for support for Windows 8.1.  Also do we need to update GPOPack.wsf  located in \Templates\GPOPacks\Name of GPO PACK.

So what is the best approach for creating and applying a GPO PACK to Win 8.1?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Look at http://bjtechnews.org/2013/08/20/mdt-2012-2013-deploying-with-gpo-packs/

or in MDT 2013 documents release note:

GPO Packs do not exist

The Security Compliance Manager (SCM) GPO Packs are not included with MDT 2013. The "Apply Local GPO Package" step (ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf) will log an entry similar to one of the following:

“The GPO Pack Path – Templates\GPOPacks\ is not valid. The GPO was not applied.”

“Default MDT GPO Pack not present for this operating system.”

WORKAROUND: Create the GPOPacks subfolder under Templates in the deployment share (for example, C:\DeploymentShare\Templates\GPOPacks). Export a GPO backup from SCM or GPMC and then add the following files from SCM:

• GPOPack.wsf
      • LocalPol.exe
    • LocalSecurityDB.sdb

Create a subfolder under GPOPacks and copy this content. Then specify the directory name in the GPOPackPath property in CustomSettings.ini.

Regards

Scorpio92

Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:58 PM
  • If I remember correctly what I did, this is how I went about it.

1. Create the Windows 8.1 GPO Pack using LocalGPO from SCM 3.0

• To use LocalGPO you have to edit "LocalGPO.wsf" to add support for 8.1.
    • In "Sub ChkOSVersion" just add the lines to provide support for 8.1 (and 2012 R2 while you're there)
    • To do this, just copy the 4 lines for 8 and 2012, paste them above the lines you just copied, and then edit them
    • It should look like this after the edit:

If(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.3") and (strProductType <> "1") then 
      strOS = "WS12R2"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.3") and (strProductType = "1") then 
      strOS = "Win81"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.2") and (strProductType <> "1") then 
      strOS = "WS12"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.2") and (strProductType = "1") then 
      strOS = "Win8"

• Since you are only exporting, this should be the only change that is needed.  If you were doing other functions, you would need to edit those.

2. Edit "GPOPack.wsf" in your newly created GPO Pack to provide support for 8.1 (and optionally 2012 R2) in the same way you did above.

3. Copy your GPO Pack to your deployment share

4. Edit "ZTIApplyGPOPack.wsf" to provide support for 8.1 (and optionally 2012 R2) using the same copy, paste, and edit technique that was used above.  The section should look similar to below:

If (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.3") and oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS") then 
    sOS = "WS2012R2"
    oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows Server 2012 R2 GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo
    ElseIf (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.3") and Not(oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS")) then 
    sOS = "Win81"
    oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows 8.1 GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo
    ElseIf (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.2") and oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS") then 
    sOS = "WS2012"
    oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows Server 2012 GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo
    ElseIf (Left(sOSVersion,3) = "6.2") and Not(oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS")) then 
    sOS = "Win8"
    oLogging.CreateEntry "Using Default Windows 8 GPO Pack", LogTypeInfo

5. If you use the standard naming convention for your GPO Pack, you are done.  In other words, if you name your GPO Pack "Win81-MDTGPOPack", then you don't have to worry about adding anything to your customsettings.ini.  It will automatically know to use this one for your Windows 8.1 Task Sequences.

It would be nice if Microsoft fixed all this in the next update of MDT2013 and SCM.

Hope this helps

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Hello,

I was able to use this method and create a successful backup per messages generated. However can't get it to run successfully from the cmd line

cscript.exe C:\Source\Build_CCL_Windows_8_1\gpobackup\xxxgpopack\gpopack.wsf /path:C:\Source\Build_CCL_Windows_8_1\gpobackup\xxxgpopack /silent

Thanks!

Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:09 PM
  • In further troubleshooting found when I launched the gpopack.wsf get error message.
    Friday, May 30, 2014 12:13 PM