none
Fixed duration task does not change unit % when work is changed RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Project users,

I have read this article online http://www.mpug.com/articles/task-types-dont-get-frustrated/

Specifically the part:

In the article there is a part about what fields you change and what you can expect from the change. 
    So i tried with the Fixed duration task. I made it 4 days, 16h work and set units to 50%.

Now, according to article if I change Work, units should change as well. But they dont seem to chage! 

Can anyone explain why.

With best regards,
    Petar
    Sunday, May 21, 2017 5:34 PM

Answers

• Petar --

To see the new Units value, you need to first apply the Task Usage view, and then temporarily insert both the Assignment Units column and the Peak column.  For the task in question, you will see the original Units value in the Assignment Units column, and you will see the new Units value in the Peak column.  If you study the Work value in the timephased grid on the right side of the view, you will see the Work is assigned at the new Units value, now shown in the Peak column.

What you are seeing is new functionality added to the software in Microsoft Project 2010 that was meant to fix a long-standing bug in the software.  However, although the bug is fixed, it does leave a somewhat confusing situation when the Units value is supposed to change, as in your situation.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, May 21, 2017 11:32 PM