none
DPM 2012 - Bare-Metal Recovery - Can't restore from image - not finding Restored image RRS feed

• General discussion

• DPM 2012 - Bare-Metal - Can't restore from image - not finding Restored image

I followed following steps and used to work before now it does not seems to work.

I added static IP to the VM and then ping the IP of the destination server where the files are.

when I put the \\servername\share , it does prompt me for userid and password and it connects.

But I dont see the restore image file description to select the image file.  

Not sure what is wrong... any help would be appreciated

PK

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Once the BMR restore was restored with success via DPM when you shared the restored folder did you grant the needed read permission? The below outlines the process for DPM 2010 see section giving the share correct permissions may assist.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/11/01/data-protection-manager-2010-and-bare-metal-restore.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:02 PM
  • Yes the permissions for share and security was correctly entered.

When I go back and select command prompt and type net use

I can see the share has been connected. But not sure why its not showing in the GUI window for me to select it.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

If you are restoring BMR from a VM, then simply mount a .vhd on the Hyper-V node, restore the BMR backup to that volume, then dismount it and add it to the VM as a second drive.  Now BMR will see the image on the local volume and be able to restore from it. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:36 PM
  • Not sure If I understood correctly:

1. Mount a new VHD and install OS or Gold image & install DPM Agent

2. Restore the Bare-Metal to the same volume (C drive)

3. Run the Windows Server backup and restore from the DPM restore ??

Is that correct ?

It sounds interesting but will be extra effort and not sure if it will work for OS partition. 

I just need to restore C drive (OS partition) in shortest time.

I was hoping to do the repair using the ISO image and get the full Bare Metal restore of C on existing blank disk. It would be very less work and in short time

• Edited by pkasmani Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:03 PM corrections
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Hi,

No - Just mount the .vhd on the Hyper-V host and assign a drive letter - then restore the BMR to it.

Then after the restore is finished, attach that .VHD to the VM you want to restore BMR on.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Mike,

You have a good suggestion, but I am looking for disaster recovery scenario to rebuilt the C drive OS partition.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Any one else have any idea or faced with same issue ?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:20 PM

• Hi,

<snip>
    I am looking for disaster recovery scenario to rebuilt the C drive OS partition.
    >snip<

The concept I proposed eliminates having to have a working network inside the WINRE environment while trying to restore the BMR from a network location.  By having the BMR backup on a separate disk (.vhd) on the guest, then you can simply point WINRE to that volume.

If you insist on using network share, then be sure to Share out the folder called "C-Volume" in the restored RP - it contains the WindowsImagebackup folder.

Important 
    If you use a domain in your environment, and if the backup storage location is on a computer that is a member of that domain, then computer containing the storage location should be on the IPsec boundary to be accessible by non-domain computers. When a computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment, it becomes a non-domain computer and cannot access the usual network shares. Only those computers that allow non-domain computers to access the share can be used as a backup storage location in this way.

You can also address this issue by adding the computer that is your backup storage location to a workgroup and placing the backup in a shared folder. A computer running Windows Recovery Environment behaves as if it is in a workgroup, enabling you to access the shared folder with the backup.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:29 PM
  • Mike, Thanks for the update.  Never tried this option.

Could you send me few print screens. or links on how to perform the system Image Recovery using the .vhd option.

Do I need to load any drivers for the drive to show up during the system Image Recovery process ?

• Edited by pkasmani Friday, October 24, 2014 1:02 PM duplicate words
    Friday, October 24, 2014 1:01 PM
  • I tried Attaching and restoring the BMR backup to vhd to Hyper V cluster node and then re-attach to the new VM.

But during the system Image Recovery process it does not find the new attached disk.

Any ideas?

Sunday, October 26, 2014 6:40 PM