Group Calendar - Public Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I have been administrator (as well as one other staff member) for our group calendar that is in our public folders.  For each staff member to see the calendar whether in their web access view or on their mobile devices I have been copying the calendar in the group calendar and pasting a copy in their personal folder.  This shows as a different folder.  Any changes to the group calendar by the administrator warrants a new copy.

Can you help me streamline this so that it is not so time consuming?

Thank you 

Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you create a new mailbox and then update the calender in this mailbox, you can share the calendar with the other users. They should then be able to view the calendar as an overlay on their personal calendar in Outlook. 

As for mobile devices, this is a bit trickier. Either you can set up an EWS script to sync the calendar entries (as per Will's suggestion) which will require a developer or you could look into setting up the shared mailbox on the mobile devices and they can use the native phone apps to overlay the two calendars. If this is to be a read only calendar then you'll need to configure permissions correctly.

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com   LinkedIn:

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, November 2, 2015 12:11 AM

All replies

• You could write an EWS app or script that does the work, but it's still going to take time.  I wouldn't use a public folder - I'd have the data in a SharePoint team workspace that users accessed in either Outlook or while in OWA.

I'll add that your "copy to mailbox folder" path doesn't scale very well, and what happens when you leave?  t also requires that you have access to their mailbox, which isn't normally available.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Thursday, October 29, 2015 4:51 PM
  • I am not sure how to write an EWS for this job.  Yes I do have to login as each staff memeber using an older version of IE so that the public folders are easily seen.  I then open the public folders to view the shared calendar.  I copy the calendar to the personal calendar.  Then it can be seen on that person's device.

Still not sure what to do about the arduous project.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

If you create a new mailbox and then update the calender in this mailbox, you can share the calendar with the other users. They should then be able to view the calendar as an overlay on their personal calendar in Outlook. 

As for mobile devices, this is a bit trickier. Either you can set up an EWS script to sync the calendar entries (as per Will's suggestion) which will require a developer or you could look into setting up the shared mailbox on the mobile devices and they can use the native phone apps to overlay the two calendars. If this is to be a read only calendar then you'll need to configure permissions correctly.

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com   LinkedIn:

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, November 2, 2015 12:11 AM