Best Method To Remove Or "Uninstall" An Application RRS feed

• Question

• This may be a very simple and amateur question but it's one that I have to ask.  What is the best way to remove an application that has been sequenced without seeing hiccups on the client side?  What prompts my question is that I deleted one application and when I attempted to "fix" the original one that I deleted, the sequencing prompted an error and I had to completely rename the package.  So I am assuming something went astray to cause the problem during deletion.

I inherited our app-v responsibilities and am unfortunately learning as I go along.

Thank you in advance.

-Brent

Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This depends on your distribution method;

1. "Classic infrastructure" (management server) - remove the groups permissions and then disable it

2. Standalone - uninstall the MSI

3. SCCM - remove the advertisement

4. Custom - well, its custom :P since an application can be imported using a custom made script hopefully someone bothered how they intended for stuff to be removed.

If you wish to replace the old package (previously available on the client) with a new package a good approach would be to ensure that any new package has unique Name + Verison, unique OSD-file, unique 8.3-asset directory to avoid any issues.

Does that answer your question?

/Znack

• Marked as answer by brentpas Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:58 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by brentpas Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by brentpas Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:50 PM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:49 PM

All replies

• Are you removing an application published to the client or are you removing an application from a package that you have sequenced?
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Hello,

1. "Classic infrastructure" (management server) - remove the groups permissions and then disable it

4. Custom - well, its custom :P since an application can be imported using a custom made script hopefully someone bothered how they intended for stuff to be removed.

If you wish to replace the old package (previously available on the client) with a new package a good approach would be to ensure that any new package has unique Name + Verison, unique OSD-file, unique 8.3-asset directory to avoid any issues.

/Znack

• Marked as answer by brentpas Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:58 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by brentpas Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by brentpas Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:50 PM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Are you removing an application published to the client or are you removing an application from a package that you have sequenced?
    Not sure I quite follow the difference but what I am looking to do is to remove Adobe Reader for example from being pushed to the clients.  The application was sequenced and the package was created to be deployed to the clients.  Not sure if that makes sense.  Again I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this.  Still wrapping my brain around it.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Hello,

/Znack

Ok sorry I should have specified.  Yes it is from the management server.  I have already removed the groups.  I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't leave any "footprints" behind.

Trying to clean things up and potentially deploy the applications via SCCM.  Yet another beast I'm learning.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Hello again,

We have ran across some issues removing items this way.  It leaves the shortcuts in place.  I'm looking at roughly 500 systems so going to each system and manually removing and/or fixing the shortcut is definitely not the best option.

Is there another method?

Thanks again

Brent

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Will the following script take care of the shortcuts?

sftmime.exe remove obj:app /global /complete

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:45 PM
  • That command will remove everything from the client including all application definitions.

Have you looked at Group Policy Preferences to delete the shortcuts for you?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:17 PM
  • That command will remove everything from the client including all application definitions.

Have you looked at Group Policy Preferences to delete the shortcuts for you?

Yeah I realized that after I tested it.

I'll play around with some GPOs.  Wasn't sure if there was a known method out there that was a quick fix or not.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:19 PM