WSS3: User is missing the "Connect to Outlook" feature in site collection, but not sub-sites in site collection! RRS feed

• Question

• Here's a strange one!

We have a WSS 3.0 site that we set up for some of our customers to interact with engineers.  One of our employees that accesses the site to participate in a discussion board located in one of the root site collections does not have the option to Connect To Outlook.  If he goes to a discussion board in a sub-site within that same site collection, he does see it.  He's tested this in IE 8 and 9 both on his laptop and another laptop with Outlook installed.  In all cases the Connect to Outlook option fails to appear for this site only.  Any ideas of what might cause this?  ActiveX? Outlook configuration?

• The site is part of the Intranet Zone within I.E.
    • Sub-sites work as expected.
    • No other person has reported this issue.

Background: He used to be a customer of ours and I set up his account as an AD customer account years ago.  He was hired in April and the account was converted to an employee account in AD.  The domain login remained the same since it was the same person, but was updated with his new corporate email address.  However, since WSS doesn't sync with AD like MOSS, his WSS user profile continued to show his old customer GMAIL account.  A few months ago he noticed that Outlook lost the connection with the discussion board that he created earlier in the year.  This past week I deleted the WSS user account within the site so he could log into the site with his updated AD account containing his corporate email address.  This didn't resolve this particular issue, so I'm not sure what steps are needed next.

Friday, December 21, 2012 6:02 PM

All replies

• Anyone from Microsoft have a guess as to why this occurs?
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:20 PM