Local Profile Corruption RRS feed

• Question

• This is an issue I have seen at multiple jobs that I have held and it has never been addressed as anything more than a nuisance. Occasionally, when logging into a cmputer on a domain using local profiles, you will receive the an error stating that the local profile could not be found and that you are being logged in with a temporary profile. The things that make this intriguing, are as follows.

90% of the time, restarting the computer will fix the problem.
    100% of the time your profile still exists in c:\users or c:\documents and settings with all of the appropriate content.
    the 10% of the time that restarting does not fix the problem, deleting the profile and temp profile and restarting fixes the issue.
    If you attempt to delete the profile that is affected (not the temp directory that is created, but the origional) it states that ntuser.dat is in use unless you restart the computer and deleted it prior to the user attempting to log in.
    This never happens with a new login, which is when you would expect windows to "not be able to find" your profile.

because this is solved so simply and occurs in rarity (maybe 2 or 3 times a week, with 1000+ users), it has never been addressed as something more serious, nor given the time to be solved entireley.

I have seen it on both windows XP and 7. Even more interestingly I have seen instances where restarting does not fix the problem and the user simply "gives up" on the old profile without calling for help. These users will eventually even get a temporary profile for their temporary profile, resulting in folders that look like the following in the users directory. {"username", "temp", "temp.domainname", "temp.domainname1", etc}

any thoughts on this?

-Thanks!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:56 PM