none
USB Media deployment issue - progress state appears to be lost RRS feed

  • Question

  • MDT 2013 / ADK 8.1

    Network LiteTouch deployment is fine. MEDIA based deployment is not working properly. I'm using the same task sequence in the media that I am on the network deployment share.

    I'm using an USB hard drive to deploy Windows 7, but have an issue with restarts and the task sequence losing it's place. I'm able to image and boot into Windows fine. When a restart occurs during "State Restore" portion of the task sequence it reboots, but doesn't pick back up where it left off. It starts from either the beginning of the task sequence, or at least starts at the beginning of the "State Restore" phase, I'm not sure which. It's like its not saving to the .dat file where it left off.

    It will loop between the restart and beginning of the "State Restore" phase.

    I have copies of the smsts and bdd.log Just let me know where to put them.

    I've built a fresh deployment share and created only one deployment task sequence and created new Media for it. Same problem. I'm out of ideas.


    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:14 PM

Answers

All replies

  • I've never seen a Task sequence go backwards, they only go forwards.

    Can you post the smsts.log and bdd.log file to a public file sharing site like OneDrive and share the link here.


    Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:37 PM
    Moderator
  • I've included the 2 logs and a screenshot of the end of task sequence.

    Link to dropbox

    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Couple of weird things going on here.

    Try disabling drivers.cmd step to see if the problem reproduces. I can't tell what this command is doing (it's a black box). If the task sequence passes, I would blame this script.


    Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:43 PM
    Moderator
  • I disabled the driver.cmd, but ended up with the same result.

    I'm going to set up a fresh MDT 2012 server and build a basic USB Media and see if I get the same issue.

    I posted the latest smsts.log (with driver.cmd removed) on the dropbox link in folder called "smsts - no driver.cmd".

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qofo9tdnl3frjv9/bLWLwK7Rl9

    All driver.cmd really did is call the driver installs in a specific order that we placed on the HD after imaging. I put a copy of one so you can see the contents.

    Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:56 PM