none
Outlook- IMAP accounts on two different computers shows email as read when its been read in one computer

Question

• I recently changed my email provider to google G suite and created a profile on <g class="gr_ gr_11 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="11" id="11"><g class="gr_ gr_10 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="10" id="10">outlook</g>  for</g> one mail box in two different computers. But when the email is read on one computer -the other computer also shows the email has been read <g class="gr_ gr_40 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="40" id="40">in</g> the other computer too,  I checked the settings on my google webmail to see if there is an option to do there. 

Much appreciated!

Cheers

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Antonio,

This is not possible with IMAP.

A workaround is to reconfigure your account as a POP3 account in Outlook. POP3 account will only download from the server, and will not sync across your devices.

By the way, make sure to enable the option of "Leave a copy of the message on the server", otherwise you will not able to check your mail messages on different machines.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the expected behavior, the Read/Unread status will sync across all of your devices.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:17 AM
  • Yes It is an expected behaviour, but I would like to know if there is any work around for it..
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:08 PM
  • Hi Antonio,

This is not possible with IMAP.

A workaround is to reconfigure your account as a POP3 account in Outlook. POP3 account will only download from the server, and will not sync across your devices.

By the way, make sure to enable the option of "Leave a copy of the message on the server", otherwise you will not able to check your mail messages on different machines.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:44 AM