Issues with exporting subsites in WSS 3.0 (FatalError: User cannot be found) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to move a few sites to a new server (WSS 3.0 in both ends). 

However, one of the sites have a large number of subsites (approx 100). I'm getting this error on almost all of the subsites:

[12/26/2016 11:16:14 AM]: FatalError: User cannot be found.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPUserCollection.GetByID(Int32 id)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Author()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.WebSerializer.GetDataFromObjectModel(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.DeploymentSerializationSurrogate.GetObjectData(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.SerializeObject(Object obj, ISerializationSurrogate surrogate, String elementName, Boolean bNeedEnvelope)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.Serialize(Stream serializationStream, Object topLevelObject)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ObjectSerializer.Serialize(DeploymentObject deployObject, Stream serializationStream)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPExport.SerializeObjects()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPExport.Run()

Some research tells me that this i because the site author/creator is removed. It is likely since a large number of users has "come and gone". But how do i fix this in a simple manner for all 100 subsites?

Is there any other walk around that would make it possible to move the sites without fixing this error?

Regards,

Jonas

Monday, December 26, 2016 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Jonas

Here is a script to Find and Delete Orphaned SharePoint Domain Users: Find and Delete Orphaned Users in SharePoint with PowerShell

Open Source Utilities to Find & Delete Orphaned Users:
    CodePlex tool: http://landofsharepoint.codeplex.com/
    Riolinx's Tool: http://www.riolinx.com/en/downloads/p/OrphanedUsersCleaner.zip

Thanks
    Mohit

Monday, December 26, 2016 3:58 PM
  • Thanks Mohit for pointing me in the right direction. However I am having some troubles with the tools you suggested:

The Powershell script throws "The term "read" is not recognized as the name of..". I guess the script is incompatible with my Powershell version (2.0 on Windows Server 2003). 

The CodePlex tool was deemed "malicious" by Chrome. Can you confirm it is legit?

The Riolinx tool fails with "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, "

• Edited by Jonas Haglund Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:30 AM added error message
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Sorry, it may be my fault. These tools are for Moss 2007 not wss 3.0. Other than that I'm not sure why tools are not working for you. You can use PowerShell script but may need to modify it a little for v2.0. 

Thanks
    Mohit

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:37 AM