none
Hardcoding NTP settings to use time.windows.com by Group Policy on all Domain Controllers RRS feed

• Question

• I want to set all my domain controllers (DC and RDC) to pull time from time.windows.com. In order to achieve this I am planing to create a gp (Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/System/Windows Time Service/Time Providers)and link to Domain Controller OU.

My question is, is it the best thing to do, or is there any risk or best practices with respect to this.

Monday, November 16, 2015 4:52 AM

Answers

1. You are asking a question about server in a Windows 7 forum. Please post your question in a server forum to get better answers.
    2. In a domain environment, you only need to synchronize time with external source on a domain controller holding PDC emulator role. All other computers in the domain are then synchronized from that domain controller.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

For your reference: "It’s Simple!” – Time Configuration in Active Directory
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/nepapfe/archive/2013/03/01/it-s-simple-time-configuration-in-active-directory.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:22 AM

All replies

1. You are asking a question about server in a Windows 7 forum. Please post your question in a server forum to get better answers.
    2. In a domain environment, you only need to synchronize time with external source on a domain controller holding PDC emulator role. All other computers in the domain are then synchronized from that domain controller.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

For your reference: "It’s Simple!” – Time Configuration in Active Directory
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/nepapfe/archive/2013/03/01/it-s-simple-time-configuration-in-active-directory.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:22 AM