Sharepoint 2007 Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Environment :- Sharepoint 2007
    Question related :- MOSS 2007 Backup (Full and Differential)

I have the below .bat files created on the server which perform a Full and a differential backup on a timely bases

For Differential it is as below

cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN"
    stsadm -o backup -directory \\ Servername\SPBACKUP -backupmethod full

For Differential it is as below

cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN"
    stsadm -o backup -directory \\Servername\SPBACKUP -backupmethod differential

As Microsoft suggested, when any content database increases 50 GB we then need to depend on the SQL backups and not take that webapplication backup from the Sharepoint Full or differential backup.

Question:-    

What changes can I make in the .bat file so a particular webapplication is not being backed up from the SharePoint backup?

Thanks,
    Will_do_good.

• Edited by will_do_good Friday, March 4, 2011 5:34 PM Edited the questions
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The changes to your command would be to add the Item parameter. Please refer to the link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263441(office.12).aspx

You will note from the link that Microsoft suggests 15GB limit for use of STSADM backup method. I would strongly advise the use of SQL Server backup maintenance plan.

hope this helps,

-- techChirag
    • Marked as answer by David HM Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:06 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 9:59 PM

All replies

• I did not understand your question. Are you asking, "What changes should be made to the .bat file to stop taking backups of site collections when their size exceeds 50GB ?"

Have you considered using powershell to create batch jobs ?

Steve Thomas
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

The changes to your command would be to add the Item parameter. Please refer to the link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263441(office.12).aspx

You will note from the link that Microsoft suggests 15GB limit for use of STSADM backup method. I would strongly advise the use of SQL Server backup maintenance plan.

hope this helps,

-- techChirag
    • Marked as answer by David HM Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:06 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 9:59 PM