Cannot open Language settings from Tile view, and unable to install Language packs from WSUS. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a bunch of Windows 2012 R2 servers that have been deployed from a syspreped image where the language has been defaulted to "en-GB", rather than the default "en-US".

I also have a WSUS 3 server running on a Windows 2008r2 machine. This tells me that a number of language packs are required by these 2102r2 machine, namely:

• KB2839636 - English (United Kingdom) Language Pack
    • KB2839636 - English (United States) Language Pack
    • KB3012997 - English (United Kingdom) Language Pack
    • KB3012997 - English (United States) Language Pack

These have been approved to be installed on the 2012r2 machine, however, running Window Update on the machines shows nothing. Opening the Control panel, then navigating to "Add Language", then "options", shows no additional updates.

The I tried to search and run the languages control panel directly from the Windows Tile view by simply typing "language" and clicking the 'Language' option in the search results, but then get the following error dialogue box:

[Window Title]
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\en-GB\Classic_{bf782cc9-5a52-4a17-806c-2a894ffeeac5}.settingcontent-ms

[Content]
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

The issue I have here is that I am logged on with the Domain Admin profile, but the path above refers to the local admin profile - however the file listed has full permissions for all 'Administrators'.

So I have two questions:

1. How should the Language pack updates get installed from WSUS?
    2. How do I fix the problem with trying to open the Language option direct from the tile search view?

Many thanks

Chris

• Edited by Swinster Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:43 AM
    Saturday, January 17, 2015 7:51 PM

Answers

• If I click on either of these (or the 'Options') I see nothing that would enable me to update the language pack and apply the KB article listed above as "needed" in WSUS for these machines.

If the Language Packs are approved and available from the WSUS server, they should be offered for installation. There is a long (and admittedly painful) thread in this forum that covers just about everything you'd ever want to know (and probably some things you don't) about the scenario involving Language Packs and WSUS.

Once they are actually installed on the client, the WUA should report them as such to WSUS.

I see the 'Language' applet show up, but when clicking on it, I get the listed error.

That's a Windows thing. Hopefully you'll get some useful feedback from the "Windows 2012 General" forum post. :-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:49 PM
    Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:49 PM

All replies

• This tells me that a number of language packs are required by these 2102r2 machine

"Available FOR" that machine would be a more accurate interpretation.

These have been approved to be installed on the 2012r2 machine, however, running Window Update on the machines shows nothing.

Correct. Language Packs are not installed via the Windows Update applet, they are installed via the *Language Packs* functionality.

So I have two questions:

• How should the Language pack updates get installed from WSUS?
    From the "Language Packs" interface.
    • How do I fix the problem with trying to open the Language option direct from the tile search view?
    Haven't a clue. Partly because I don't really understand from your description what you did, and partly because it's beyond the scope of THIS forum anyway. But my guess would be is that either you did it from an unprivileged account, or more likely, and simply, your search parameters are not valid.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Sunday, January 18, 2015 7:04 AM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Many thanks for your feedback and taking the last point first, I had cross posted this in the "WSUS" and "Windows 2012 General" forums to kind of cover both areas. I realised my description was poor, but could not really think of a better way to explain.

Back to the first point, the Language Packs interface can be got to through couple of ways. I CAN get to it if I open the 'Control Panel', then click 'Add a Language'. I see both the English (United Kingdom) and English (United States) languages installed. If I click on either of these (or the 'Options') I see nothing that would enable me to update the language pack and apply the KB article listed above as "needed" in WSUS for these machines. Is this normal?

And to finish back with the last point, the alternative way to get to the Language Packs interface is to navigate to the Windows Tile screen (by clicking the start button), and just start typing the name of the application or applet you wish to start - in this case "language". Windows 2012 (as in Windows 8) automatically starts a search and lists the most likely candidates, of which I see the 'Language' applet show up, but when clicking on it, I get the listed error.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a remnant of the pre-syspreped image that was setup in audit mode. I have read somewhere that the search list may need to be re-indexed (or something similar), but haven't had a chance to test as yet.

Regards,

Chris

Chris

Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:31 AM
  • If I click on either of these (or the 'Options') I see nothing that would enable me to update the language pack and apply the KB article listed above as "needed" in WSUS for these machines.

If the Language Packs are approved and available from the WSUS server, they should be offered for installation. There is a long (and admittedly painful) thread in this forum that covers just about everything you'd ever want to know (and probably some things you don't) about the scenario involving Language Packs and WSUS.

Once they are actually installed on the client, the WUA should report them as such to WSUS.

I see the 'Language' applet show up, but when clicking on it, I get the listed error.

That's a Windows thing. Hopefully you'll get some useful feedback from the "Windows 2012 General" forum post. :-)

SolarWinds Head Geek

• Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:49 PM
    Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:49 PM