none
How do I change the Owner of a Print Job in Windows Server 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I change the Owner of a Print Job, from a Service, NOT running from the System account, in Windows Server 2008? 

In older operating systems I was able to use the SetJob command with the pUserName parameter pointing to the new Owner for the Print Job.  In Windows Server 2008, this only works if the Service is running from the System account.  Since the Service needs to be able to access some specific Network Shares, I pretty sure I am not able to run the Service from the System account.

The older documentation for the SetJob command listed the following parameters as being ignored in the Job_Info_1 and Job_Info_2 structures.  JobId, pPrinterName, pMachineName, PDriverName, Size, Submitted, Time, and TotalPages.  The pUserName was not listed as being ignored and successfully changed the Owner of the Print Job.

The newer documentation added pUserName to the list of ignored parameters.

Our application allows users to print documents from any application, to one network printer and then the print jobs are reformatted redirected / forwarded to the appropriate locations and printers based on parameters specified in the printed documents.  If we are not able to maintain the orignal user's account information when we redirect print jobs to other printers, the user's will not be able to view status or cancel their own print jobs.

Our application consists of a Port Monitor that sends the formatted printer data to services that parse the data and redirect the print jobs to their intended destinations.

I suspect since changing the Owner no longer works from the SetJob function, there is either a new mechanism for changing the owner of a print job.  Or since it does work when the Service is run from the System account, possibly there is a privilege that the System account has, that my account is missing.

So, My question, how do I change the Owner of a Print Job, from a Service, NOT running from the System account, in Windows Server 2008? 

Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that there is no other way to change Print Job parameters.

As this issue is more related to development, I suggest that you initial a new post in the MSDN form to get further support there. They are the best resource for development related problems.

For your convenience, I have list the link as followed.

MSDN Forum
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?SiteID=1

Thanks. 
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Beta) contains the fix for changing the ownership of a print job from a service that isn't running from the System account.  I don't see it listed in the Excel Spreadsheet that lists the individual issues addressed. 

This does not do anything to help 32 bit Windows Server 2008 users. But it does get rid of the problem for 64 bit Windows Server 2008 R2 users.

And only 17 months after I initially reported it...

• Marked as answer by SYaeger Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:27 PM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that there is no other way to change Print Job parameters.

As this issue is more related to development, I suggest that you initial a new post in the MSDN form to get further support there. They are the best resource for development related problems.

For your convenience, I have list the link as followed.

MSDN Forum
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?SiteID=1

Thanks. 
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Beta) contains the fix for changing the ownership of a print job from a service that isn't running from the System account.  I don't see it listed in the Excel Spreadsheet that lists the individual issues addressed. 

This does not do anything to help 32 bit Windows Server 2008 users. But it does get rid of the problem for 64 bit Windows Server 2008 R2 users.

And only 17 months after I initially reported it...

• Marked as answer by SYaeger Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:27 PM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:27 PM