none
How to install ONLY Windows Server 2008 SP1 via WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I want to be able to push Server 2008 SP1 from WSUS, except the problem is WSUS displays a list of patches that need to be applied, but doesn't show SP1 - unless you apply the list of patches it displayes, reboot, apply again, reboot, etc

So my question is, since SP1 includes most of the patches displayed in WSUS, how can I push that SP without having to reboot the servers multiple times?

I hope that made sense ;)

Monday, August 29, 2011 3:24 PM

Answers

• how can I push that SP without having to reboot the servers multiple times?

This is actually a problematic thing with WSUS and Vista/Win7/Win2008/Win2008R2 because our friends who wrote the WUApp for Vista decided to suppress the display of Exclusive updates if any other updates are available -- effectively ensuring that OS Service Packs would be hidden from users in most scenarios.

Possibly (though I have not yet tested this), if you remove the approvals for ALL updates, and approve ONLY the Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 update (or the Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 update, as may be the case), given that this would be the only update available to that client system, it should detect/download and install the service pack.

Perhaps a more effective way to achieve that objective would be to create a *NEW* WSUS Target Group expressly for the purpose of installing these service packs. Approve ONLY the five service packs for this group (i.e. Win7SP1, Win7x64SP1, Win2008SP2, Win2008x64SP2, Win2008R2SP1) (okay.. include the Vista service packs if you still haven't installed those <g>), and then place your target machines in this new group and ONLY this group. Once the applicable Service Pack shows as Installed, you can move the target machine back to it's normal group.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Monday, August 29, 2011 10:06 PM

All replies

• how can I push that SP without having to reboot the servers multiple times?

This is actually a problematic thing with WSUS and Vista/Win7/Win2008/Win2008R2 because our friends who wrote the WUApp for Vista decided to suppress the display of Exclusive updates if any other updates are available -- effectively ensuring that OS Service Packs would be hidden from users in most scenarios.

Possibly (though I have not yet tested this), if you remove the approvals for ALL updates, and approve ONLY the Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 update (or the Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 update, as may be the case), given that this would be the only update available to that client system, it should detect/download and install the service pack.

Perhaps a more effective way to achieve that objective would be to create a *NEW* WSUS Target Group expressly for the purpose of installing these service packs. Approve ONLY the five service packs for this group (i.e. Win7SP1, Win7x64SP1, Win2008SP2, Win2008x64SP2, Win2008R2SP1) (okay.. include the Vista service packs if you still haven't installed those <g>), and then place your target machines in this new group and ONLY this group. Once the applicable Service Pack shows as Installed, you can move the target machine back to it's normal group.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Monday, August 29, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Thank you Lawrence, I will try your suggestions and post back :)
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:10 PM