How is IE9 (No Add Ons) different from Manage Add Ons/ Disable All ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been seeing an issue on my customers' PCs with an internal proprietary web application. When you sign in, an additional IE9 window is opened and the browser becomes unstable or unresponsive.

We are able to work around the issue by opening IE9 (No Add Ons) from accessories menu.

However, the problem persists if I open Manage Add Ons and disable everything I can find.

So, the question: How does Manage Add Ons / Disable all that I can find differ from IE 9 (No Add Ons) from the start menu?

Is there a way I can compare a live dump of running processes or extensions to view the results from each of these cases to see what is still running in the Manage Add Ons / Disable everything scenario that might be interfering with our application?

Thanks!

• Edited by RobVerizon Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:24 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• No add-ons mode disables All third party accelerators... and browser add-ons,

Someone would have to go to each separate section to accomplish no add-ons mode and still possible not accomplish the task because of Third party security suites are stubborn.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Hi, 

The "No add-ons" mode will disable all the add-ons with local and deny the add-ons from the websites.

Disabling all the add-ons can just disable all the add-ons with local. 

According to your description, I suggest you reset your Internet Explorer setting to test it:

Reset Internet Explorer settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-10

If the issue persists, please perform the following steps to check the result:

Repair or reinstall Internet Explorer in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 6, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Is there a way I can compare a live dump of running processes or extensions to view the results from each of these cases to see what is still running in the Manage Add Ons / Disable everything scenario that might be interfering with our application?

Yes.  Run ProcMon for both cases.  Save the traces and compare them for their essential differences.  Use the (coarse) filter of Process & Thread (e.g. that button only) first until you find a divergence.  Then you can use the other trace events to find out why.  If you save traces as .pml files you can open multiple instances of ProcMon.exe and view them simultaneously in separate windows.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, September 6, 2013 7:05 PM
    Answerer
  • I did try a reset inside IE9, but it didn't resolve the problem.

Friday, September 6, 2013 7:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by kelvin_hsu Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RobVerizon Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:27 PM
    Sunday, September 8, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Verify this reset process,

Reset process first opening Internet explorer

This link doesn't work for me. Could be corp domain policies or whatever.

Rob Roberson Verizon

Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:27 PM
  • See a tutorial here,

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1222-internet-explorer-reset.html

I would add this to the above links process,

• Edited by ThrashZone Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:41 AM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:33 PM