Office Communicator A/V- Edge Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an OCS 2007 back-end server to provide IM, call and video call by Office Communicator to our internal users. This works fine.

Now I have installed a Edge Server to provide the same functions to our external users. I have opened the correct ports on firewall and I have created the correct registers in DNS. I only have activated the Access Edge Server. I haven't activated Web Conferencing Edge Server nor A/V Edge Server because I think these are not necessary to provide IM, call and video call by Office Communicator to our external users.

I have installed A/V Edge Server. I open the correct ports in firewall. I have configured internal OCS server to work with A/V Edge Server. I use the same A register in DNS and the same public IP for A/V Edge Server and Access Edge Server. Edge Server has a DMZ IP for internal adapter an a public routable IP for external adapter. 

IM works OK to external users, but call and video call are disconnected when user accepts the request.

When I try to do a call or video call are disconnected when user accepts the request.

I haven't configured Reverse Proxy. Is it necessary for A/V?

Thanks.

Raul
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:30 AM

Answers

• The below list the details of functionalities are provided by reverse proxy, you may choose the roles by depends on the functions you need, and the documents under the hyper-link details edge server deployment in vary situations. Please check, Good Luck!

The reverse proxy role provides additional functionality not provided by any of
    the 3 edge roles. For example, you’ll want to deploy a reverse proxy server if want enable
    remote users to do one or more the following:
    • Download the address book
    • Expand distribution groups
    • Download Live Meeting content
    • Start a Communicator Web Access session
    • Update Office Communicator Phone Edition devices

Add an A/V Edge Server if you want to make it possible to share
    audio and video with external users, such as vendors or employees who are working from home.
    With an A/V Edge Server, users can:
    • Add audio and video data to meetings with external participants.
    • Share audio and video directly with an external user (point-to-point).
    An A/V Edge Server provides a single, trusted connection point through which media traffic
    enters and exits your network.

http://cid-b6d0e1f9969eb052.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/OCS2007R2EdgeConfigGuide/Configuring%20OCS%202007%20for%20Remote%20AccessEdit.zip?sa=396600832

Best Regards!
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Raul.

Please verify the following:

1. On your edge server under the configuration for the AV Edge Interface have you selected "external IP address is translated by NAT"?

2. When you ping the FQDN of your AV edge server from the Edge server, do you get the public IP address assigned to the AV edge?

Please see this document for further help configuring the OCS AV edge role:

http://blogs.technet.com/rickva/archive/2009/04/09/ocs-2007-r1-r2-remote-access-configuration-guide.aspx

Mark King | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | CCNA | www.unplugthepbx.com
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:46 PM

All replies

• The below list the details of functionalities are provided by reverse proxy, you may choose the roles by depends on the functions you need, and the documents under the hyper-link details edge server deployment in vary situations. Please check, Good Luck!

The reverse proxy role provides additional functionality not provided by any of
    the 3 edge roles. For example, you’ll want to deploy a reverse proxy server if want enable
    remote users to do one or more the following:
    • Download the address book
    • Expand distribution groups
    • Download Live Meeting content
    • Start a Communicator Web Access session
    • Update Office Communicator Phone Edition devices

Add an A/V Edge Server if you want to make it possible to share
    audio and video with external users, such as vendors or employees who are working from home.
    With an A/V Edge Server, users can:
    • Add audio and video data to meetings with external participants.
    • Share audio and video directly with an external user (point-to-point).
    An A/V Edge Server provides a single, trusted connection point through which media traffic
    enters and exits your network.

http://cid-b6d0e1f9969eb052.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/OCS2007R2EdgeConfigGuide/Configuring%20OCS%202007%20for%20Remote%20AccessEdit.zip?sa=396600832

Best Regards!
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Raul.

Please verify the following:

1. On your edge server under the configuration for the AV Edge Interface have you selected "external IP address is translated by NAT"?

2. When you ping the FQDN of your AV edge server from the Edge server, do you get the public IP address assigned to the AV edge?

Please see this document for further help configuring the OCS AV edge role:

http://blogs.technet.com/rickva/archive/2009/04/09/ocs-2007-r1-r2-remote-access-configuration-guide.aspx

Mark King | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | CCNA | www.unplugthepbx.com
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:46 PM