can a user have both a DID AND an extension? RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to set up our users each with their own DID.  However management is wondering if they can also still have extensions assigned to staff, so that after the transition to Lync people who call in with old business cards can still punch in the same extension and get to the user.  Is this possible, and if so is there anything special we need to do with normalization, etc?

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:56 PM

All replies

• You just have to make sure that normalization translates the extension into the full number (E.164)
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Ah makes sense, that is how I have the current dial plan configured so that should work well.

For new users going forward, we would like to just have them have a DID and not have an extension to makes things simpler in the future.  Do I need to have a separate dial plan with different rules for these users I guess?  Can the two dial plans share an AA?

Monday, February 14, 2011 8:06 PM
  • So our sip trunk provider is not sure they can find a block of numbers that will align with the current extensions.

If we end up having to get numbers that do not match, but we want to continue to have the users use their old extensions, how do we handle this with regard to normalization?

thanks!

Wes

Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:42 PM
  • You can do it. but maybe you will not like the way. :-) 

1 way

write rules for every user <ext> -> +<DID>

200 users - 200 rules

2 way. if your users whan to use extensions for authentication on phones and in confs. 

write rules for every user <DID> -> $1;ext=<ext>.

write rules for every user <ext> -> +<DID>;ext=<ext>.

200 users - 400 rules

ask your provider to strip ";ext=<any digits>" from caller number for your outgoing calls 

Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:35 PM
  • We were able to get a block of #s that matched, so that is working fine.

However, going forward, for new users, when we get new DIDs they might be random numbers.  What do we do if we happen to end up with two users that get assigned random DIDs that happen to have the same last 3 digits?

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Are you integrated with Exchange UM 2007 or 2010?  If so then you can use your auto-attendant feature to handle the 'old' extensions.  I assume that your outside callers are dialing a 'Direct Dial Main/Toll Free Number" in order to access the old extensions today.  Move that number to an auto attendant that starts off with the ever familiar "Please listen closely as our prompts have changed and new options are available":

·     With the built in voice recognition you can now tell your callers to just 'Say the name of the person they are calling'

·     Your callers will be happy to discover that they can now call direct.

·     No need to worry about old extension numbers

·     Your goal should not be to coddle your outside callers, but to educate them to the new system.  By letting every caller to the auto-attendant know that you are transitioning to a new 'Direct Dial' format to 'Improve customer/client communication', you convey positive change and don't have to maintain the 'old' way of doing things.

I have done this with two different companies and each time was told that we would be 'inundated' with complaints; we never received a single one.

Rich Pederzani Telecom Engineer
    Friday, March 11, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Yes, we already have things set up this way - and old users have their old extensions mapped and that all works properly.

I am happy to have new staff that come on simply be name-based - but lync/exchange (2010) still seem to require you to input an extension for each user.  Why is this?

Friday, March 11, 2011 7:53 PM