none
DNS Server RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Cisco RV110W router that is acting as a DHCP Server.   We are setup with a Public network and a Private Network through the Cisco Router (via vLANs).   The Public side is using the 192.168.1.x subnet and the private side is using 10.10.100.x subnet.  The Router is set to issue IP addresses for both the public and private network. We have 2 Windows 2008R2 Domain Controllers acting as DNS servers for the private network.  I am told that the DNS service on the Cisco router is disabled.  

I presume this is the appropriate configuration.  My question is:  Since the two networks are segregated at the router, is the public devices using DNS services from an outside DNS server?  I ask because the public side is segregated from the private and the only DNS server I am aware of is on the private side.  For both the public and private workstations that are configured with DHCP,   the IP addresses are assigned from the router.  The devices are all smartphones, tablets and some wireless laptops while the Private servers and workstations are all wired.  The servers are all statically assigned.  We have 3 private workstations that are setup for DHCP.

The private devices are all set to the DNS of the Windows 2008R2 servers while the public devices are all using DHCP settings (not static).  

So, how is the public devices getting DNS resolution?

Cal Miyatake

Friday, June 17, 2016 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>So, how is the public devices getting DNS resolution?

Typically,we suggest set DNS server in DMZ,in your case,just like your DHCP server,do not set it in either VLAN.If you still want to use DNS server on other VLAN,you should set VLAN to allow DNS query(TCP/UDP 53),and make sure there is a route to other subnet,you could contact CICSO for more support.On the Windows dns server,don't forget to create reverse lookup zone for each subnet.

Monday, June 20, 2016 3:33 AM