none
Do not send a Windows Error Report when a generic driver is installed on a device

Question

• Dear All,

I am trying to do this rule in windows  2012 R2, the windows server at AWS.

I have done the following things

Windows 7 - Configure the policy value for Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Device Installation “Do not send a Windows Error Report when a generic driver is installed on a device "Disable"

But don't know what activity should I do to generate error so that windows will try to send report Microsoft 

Thanks

Vijay

Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows has a feature that sends "generic-driver-installed" reports through the Windows Error Reporting infrastructure. This policy allows you to disable the feature. If you enable this policy setting an error report is not sent when a generic driver is installed. If you disable or do not configure this policy setting an error report is sent when a generic driver is installed.

You could try to install a generic driver to test this feature.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for reply

Can you please provide me any example or software of generic driver, I tried to install generic printer and tried to give print to that generic printer  but not getting any error.

Thanks

Vijay 

Friday, February 17, 2017 12:14 PM

• Hi,

I have done the following  things. (OS is Windows 2012 R2)

1) When policy is not configured

1. Installed one generic driver from Device Manager after that checked the windows logs.Windows showing error log. generic device is installed.

2. Goes to Action center ->Problem report ->in Problem it showing "Report sent"

2)Enabled the Policy "according to Policy windows will not sent error ", and followed the same processor.

still windows is sending report s

Can any one suggest what should I do.

Monday, February 20, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if the corresponding registry value has been changed.

Registry Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Subkey: \Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Settings\

Value Name: DisableSendGenericDriverNotFoundToWER

Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 6:35 AM