none
How to access a restricted folder by using my admin password in a normal user account?

Question

• Hi, I need help:

1. I log into a normal user account.

2. I double click to access a restricted folder.

(Restricted folder means: In administrator account, I made this folder restricted to other users. Right Click/Properties/Security tab)

3. A message came up:

You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder.

4. After I click Continue a message came up:

You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the Security tab.

But I want Windows to ask my admin password to access that folder.

I have done this job before, and it worked fine but I forgot how did I do...

Thanks for helping me.

Related topics: UAC, netplwiz, secpol, gpedit, runas

Friday, September 30, 2016 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you set permissions of a folder or drive for a user or group, the newly created and current files and subfolders in the folder or drive will also inherit these permissions as well. Please refer to the link below about Windows 7: Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/122666-permissions-allow-deny-users-groups.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 3, 2016 5:39 AM
  • Hi,

Windows still does not ask admin password to access the folder. Any suggestion?

Thank You,

Peter

Friday, October 7, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hi Peter,

According to your description, I suggest that we could create a new admin account and follow the steps in the link below to set.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-lock-and-password-protect-folder-in-vista/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:23 AM