BITS for Distribution Point Installation ?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i installed a couple of Distribution Points. I didnt install IIS oder WDS. I let ConfigMgr to install IIS and WDS. Now i noticed that ConfigMgr doesnt install BITS but in Microsoft Reference its say that BITS is needed.

ConfigMgr 2012 System Requirement

The Distribution Points work fine without BITS (OSD, Software Deployment). So why doesnt ConfigMgr install BITS? Do i have to install BITS manualy?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

BITS helps control bandwidth when downloading content from a DP to the client. When a computer is downloading content from DP and is interrupted, it can resume where it left off. Otherwise, if you don't use BITS, clients will always use SMBs for download. Then for internet client and mobiles devices, you should enable BITS to permit clients to download content using HTTPS ... So as you see BITS is not an obligation and you're free to install/use it or no.

Bechir Gharbi | My blog: @myITforum.com | Twitter: @Bechir_Gharbi | Linkedin: Bechir Gharbi | Time zone: GMT + 1

• Marked as answer by Khi1981 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:28 PM
    • Edited by Bechir Gharbi Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

BITS is a prerequisite and a feature of Windows Server, that needs to be added prior to running the ConfigMgr installation. Unfortunately it's not part of the ConfigMgr setup.

Blog: www.danielclasson.com/blog | LinkedIn: Daniel Classon | Twitter: @danielclasson

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

BITS is a prerequisite and a feature of Windows Server, that needs to be added prior to running the ConfigMgr installation. Unfortunately it's not part of the ConfigMgr setup.

Blog: www.danielclasson.com/blog | LinkedIn: Daniel Classon | Twitter: @danielclasson

Hi,

i know it's a prerequisite for configMgr setup, i just wonder why Distribution Points work without BITS although its a prerequisite for a Distribution Point. I checked all our DPs and no one got BITS installed. I have never installed it manually. So i just want to know, if i should install BITS before installing a new DP.

• Edited by Khi1981 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:32 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Hi,

BITS helps control bandwidth when downloading content from a DP to the client. When a computer is downloading content from DP and is interrupted, it can resume where it left off. Otherwise, if you don't use BITS, clients will always use SMBs for download. Then for internet client and mobiles devices, you should enable BITS to permit clients to download content using HTTPS ... So as you see BITS is not an obligation and you're free to install/use it or no.

Bechir Gharbi | My blog: @myITforum.com | Twitter: @Bechir_Gharbi | Linkedin: Bechir Gharbi | Time zone: GMT + 1

• Marked as answer by Khi1981 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:28 PM
    • Edited by Bechir Gharbi Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

that is the answer i needed. So i can install BITS  after the distriubation point was set up?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:28 PM
  • So i can install BITS  after the distriubation point was set up?

Yes.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:27 PM
  • So i can install BITS  after the distriubation point was set up?

... but it's not needed on DPs (only on MPs).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:25 AM