none
Replica error 'Failed to open primary database file' with DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Since the upgrade from DPM2010 to DPM2012 a week ago, I have noticed one of the SharePoint content databases does not get backedup anymore, and spotted a recurring error in the SQL Server log. The protection group had a green blob next to it (good right?) but this content database is not visible in the recovery tab (meaning the backups are not available). Other content databases are fine. I am now seeing synch. errors on this protection group.

XXXXXXXXXX - Failed to open primary database file

Source: XXXXXX FCB::Open failed: Could not open file \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy156\SQLData\\blah.mdf for file number 0. OS error: 123(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.).

It seems to me like the replica is corrupt. I have already tried removing and readding the protection group (retaining the data), but this does not solve the problem. Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with a corrupt replica? Otherwise I can only see that we have to remove the protection group (and NOT retain the data) which is not ideal as that means throwing away backups.

Are there perhaps powershell commands designed to fix this (I couldn't see any) ? Any other ideas from early adopters? Thanks in advance,

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:02 PM

All replies

• Ok I guess noone has any ideas (or looks here?). My only option is to remove the protection group AND the retained data (and therefore the corrupt replica as well), after I have placed the backups on a share which is taking quite some time....Its not a good situation at all, not happy. I will make sure I feedback the experience into the TAP programme.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:20 PM