Help to Understand SIP-Trunking and setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

i hope I am at the right stage.

We have an MPLS Network and a LYNC 2013 implentation across 10 EMEA Countries in place. The LYNC is hosted for EMEA in the UK. At the moment we are using only IM, Presence and Chat - sometime LYNC Calls.

We are planning to upgrade to Skype for Business 2015 and to inlcude Enterprise Voice with Dial-In Conferencing.

What I need to understand - maybe is there a good ressource to read - are some things about the SIP Trunk topic.

1. Should I have a SIP-Trunk per Countrie or only one or two (redundant) ones in the DataCentre Country to connect my LAN with the PSTN world?

2. Whould i get localized number ranges for all Countries if i had only one or two SIP-Trunks in the UK? For example German (+49 xxx) and Italian (+39 xxx) ones?

Please help me to understand this further.

Thanks in Advance

Sebastian

Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:07 AM

Answers

• For EMEA the major telco provider is Verizon, with single or redundant siptrunks i think they can provide required lineuri's

but the best practice is, for every country if you have dedicated dial plan,voice policy,Routes associated with dedicated trunks it will be easy to isolate any issues occur.

Contact Verizon telcom team who is the best guy to advise all the details regarding siptrunks and voice plans.

You can also esquire about Roming Enterprise voice plans which will be helpful when the site users are in roming on business to different countries.

hope this helps.

Regards, Rajukb | MCSE (Communication ), MCSA (o365) ,Certified "Lync server 2013 depth support engineer"| This posting is providedwith no warranties and confers no rights. If my reply answers your question please mark as answer/helpful if its helpful.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Hi Guebnny, 

Choice of Sip Trunk is a good decision and with new SIP trunk cloud that the providers have , they should be able to route calls to any region according to their Country lines/local /international etc. So if your users  count is less in some regions , you can go with one Sip Trunk provider who has global presence and implement him in one main location and create Dial plan and voice policy to direct all calls from other location to this Sip Trunk . interesting read is here in Kens blog.

http://ucken.blogspot.in/2016/07/Multi-Country-SIP-Trunk-with-LDRO.html

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

• Marked as answer by Guenny Thursday, July 21, 2016 1:57 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:38 AM
  • Just be careful when selecting a "global" provider. I say this because in reality there isn't a global SIP service that has Points of Presence (POPs) in every country. They may market it as "we have a global presence" but in reality they may have POPs in a limited set of countries.

When talking with them make sure that they have a POP in each EMEA country you have a presence in. Otherwise you may end up paying international rate for some seemingly local rate numbers. 

e.g POP in France and a POP in Italy but no POP in Germany. German numbers would break out at either france or italy and therefore have a cost associated to going into germany's PSTN etc. Rough example of what I mean.

If you have a breakout at each of your sites, this may seem a good idea on best practice, but there is a WAN cost associated to that model which you will need to investigate to see if you can support the bandwidth required.

As well as Verizon, you can look at BT OneVoice SIP Service which is "loosely" global.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 12:51 PM
  • You want to select gateways. The SIP trunking description is to connect the mediation server directly to a SIP provider's network. Mostly you wont be doing this, and you will be going via an SBC. The reason not every ITSP supports direct SIP from Lync/SfB.

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 12:59 PM
  • Agree with Mark.

Not every ITSP supports direct SIP from Lync and SFB, Plan well before select one.

For your questions,

• I plan to deplay gateways using a direct PSTN connection

Public switched telephone network (PSTN) gateways are third-party hardware components that translate signaling and media between the Enterprise Voice infrastructure and the PSTN, either directly or through connection to SIP trunks. In either topology, the gateway terminates the PSTN. The gateway is isolated in its own subnet and is connected to the enterprise network through the Mediation Server.

• I plan to use SIP Trunking

A SIP trunk is a direct connection between your organization and an ITSP. It enables you to extend VoIP telephony beyond your organization’s firewall without the need for an IP-PSTN gateway. Additionally, SIP trunks can carry instant messages, multimedia conferences, user presence information, Enhanced 9-1-1 (E9-1-1) emergency calls, and other SIP-based, real-time communications services. Because it is easier to configure and less expensive to design, operate, maintain, and upgrade, and because ITSPs deliver services at substantial savings, your investment in SIP trunking can give a quick and substantial return on investment.

Cost Savings

The cost savings associated with SIP trunking can be substantial:

• Long distance calls typically cost much less through a SIP trunk.

• You can cut manageability costs and reduce the complexity of deployment.

• Basic rate interface (BRI) and primary rate interface (PRI) fees can be eliminated if you connect a SIP trunk directly to your ITSP at significantly lower cost. In TDM trunking, service providers charge for calls by the minute. The cost of SIP trunking may be based on bandwidth usage, which you can buy in smaller, more economical increments. (The actual cost depends on the service model of the ITSP you choose.)

SIP Trunking vs. Hosting a PSTN Gateway or IP-PBX

Because SIP trunks connect directly to your service provider, you can eliminate your PSTN gateways and their management cost and complexity. Using a SIP trunk can lead to substantial cost savings through reduced maintenance and administration.

Regards, Rajukb | MCSE (Communication ), MCSA (o365) ,Certified "Lync server 2013 depth support engineer"| This posting is providedwith no warranties and confers no rights. If my reply answers your question please mark as answer/helpful if its helpful.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Dial-in Conferencing is a lync side configuration which you just need a one DID to work. but that DID should provided by your Telco supporting how many incoming calls that DID can handle etc.

at the same time, if you want to configure toll free number for users convenience you may have to procure it from telecom with agreement of how many users can call on that particular number in a month.

So all depends on how you negotiating with telcom to get it done.

if everything is done, configuring it in Lync you can get bunch of technet articles on it for how to configure or you can create a diffrent thread for discussion to address,configure or troubleshoot issues. 

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Guenny Friday, July 22, 2016 6:06 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:08 PM

All replies

• For EMEA the major telco provider is Verizon, with single or redundant siptrunks i think they can provide required lineuri's

but the best practice is, for every country if you have dedicated dial plan,voice policy,Routes associated with dedicated trunks it will be easy to isolate any issues occur.

Contact Verizon telcom team who is the best guy to advise all the details regarding siptrunks and voice plans.

You can also esquire about Roming Enterprise voice plans which will be helpful when the site users are in roming on business to different countries.

hope this helps.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Hi Guebnny, 

Choice of Sip Trunk is a good decision and with new SIP trunk cloud that the providers have , they should be able to route calls to any region according to their Country lines/local /international etc. So if your users  count is less in some regions , you can go with one Sip Trunk provider who has global presence and implement him in one main location and create Dial plan and voice policy to direct all calls from other location to this Sip Trunk . interesting read is here in Kens blog.

http://ucken.blogspot.in/2016/07/Multi-Country-SIP-Trunk-with-LDRO.html

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:38 AM
  • Just be careful when selecting a "global" provider. I say this because in reality there isn't a global SIP service that has Points of Presence (POPs) in every country. They may market it as "we have a global presence" but in reality they may have POPs in a limited set of countries.

When talking with them make sure that they have a POP in each EMEA country you have a presence in. Otherwise you may end up paying international rate for some seemingly local rate numbers. 

e.g POP in France and a POP in Italy but no POP in Germany. German numbers would break out at either france or italy and therefore have a cost associated to going into germany's PSTN etc. Rough example of what I mean.

If you have a breakout at each of your sites, this may seem a good idea on best practice, but there is a WAN cost associated to that model which you will need to investigate to see if you can support the bandwidth required.

As well as Verizon, you can look at BT OneVoice SIP Service which is "loosely" global.

thanks

Thursday, July 21, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Thanks for all this helpful input. At the moment i am playing around with the Skype for Business 2015 planning tool.

At the Voice Infrastructure step there came up an additional question for me:

What is the difference between:

I thought a SIP Trunk is a (Data) Connection to a provider who connects my network to the PSTN.

Am i right?

rgds

Sebastian

Thursday, July 21, 2016 12:57 PM
  • You want to select gateways. The SIP trunking description is to connect the mediation server directly to a SIP provider's network. Mostly you wont be doing this, and you will be going via an SBC. The reason not every ITSP supports direct SIP from Lync/SfB.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 12:59 PM
  • Agree with Mark.

Not every ITSP supports direct SIP from Lync and SFB, Plan well before select one.

For your questions,

Public switched telephone network (PSTN) gateways are third-party hardware components that translate signaling and media between the Enterprise Voice infrastructure and the PSTN, either directly or through connection to SIP trunks. In either topology, the gateway terminates the PSTN. The gateway is isolated in its own subnet and is connected to the enterprise network through the Mediation Server.

A SIP trunk is a direct connection between your organization and an ITSP. It enables you to extend VoIP telephony beyond your organization’s firewall without the need for an IP-PSTN gateway. Additionally, SIP trunks can carry instant messages, multimedia conferences, user presence information, Enhanced 9-1-1 (E9-1-1) emergency calls, and other SIP-based, real-time communications services. Because it is easier to configure and less expensive to design, operate, maintain, and upgrade, and because ITSPs deliver services at substantial savings, your investment in SIP trunking can give a quick and substantial return on investment.

Cost Savings

The cost savings associated with SIP trunking can be substantial:

• Long distance calls typically cost much less through a SIP trunk.

• You can cut manageability costs and reduce the complexity of deployment.

• Basic rate interface (BRI) and primary rate interface (PRI) fees can be eliminated if you connect a SIP trunk directly to your ITSP at significantly lower cost. In TDM trunking, service providers charge for calls by the minute. The cost of SIP trunking may be based on bandwidth usage, which you can buy in smaller, more economical increments. (The actual cost depends on the service model of the ITSP you choose.)

SIP Trunking vs. Hosting a PSTN Gateway or IP-PBX

Because SIP trunks connect directly to your service provider, you can eliminate your PSTN gateways and their management cost and complexity. Using a SIP trunk can lead to substantial cost savings through reduced maintenance and administration.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Thanks for your different point of views and opinions regarding this topic.

A Dial-In-Conferencing Service / Option for my Skype for Business implementation is independet from the Descion above or is there something additional to keep an eye on?

rgds

Sebastian

Thursday, July 21, 2016 1:56 PM
  • Dial-in Conferencing is a lync side configuration which you just need a one DID to work. but that DID should provided by your Telco supporting how many incoming calls that DID can handle etc.

at the same time, if you want to configure toll free number for users convenience you may have to procure it from telecom with agreement of how many users can call on that particular number in a month.

So all depends on how you negotiating with telcom to get it done.

if everything is done, configuring it in Lync you can get bunch of technet articles on it for how to configure or you can create a diffrent thread for discussion to address,configure or troubleshoot issues. 

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Guenny Friday, July 22, 2016 6:06 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:08 PM
  • Good Morning,

two last questions based on that Thread.

First: What stands DID for?

Second: The SIP Trunk will connect my LAN and the ITSP Network via Mediation Server too - right?

rgds

Sebastian

Friday, July 22, 2016 6:08 AM
  • Direct inward dialing numbers (DIDs) are virtual numbers that allow you to route calls to your existing telephone lines. DIDs were developed in order to be able to assign certain employees a direct number, without requiring multiple physical phone lines.

The trunks for DID service are unidirectional, inbound to the customer PBX. However, the service may be combined with direct outward dialing (DOD) allowing PBX extensions direct outbound calling capability with identification of their DID telephone number.

For the question SIP Trunks

To implement SIP trunking, you must route the connection through a Mediation Server, which acts as a proxy for communications sessions between Skype for Business Server clients and the service provider and transcodes media, when necessary.

go through this technet for sip trunking, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398619.aspx

Friday, July 22, 2016 6:22 AM