none
MDT 2012 - Application Bundle Install Issues- Logged in as Admin randomly between reboots RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

We are on MDT 2012 / WDS... Moving to SCCM soon but not soon enough.

A new problem started in our environment and I'm not sure if it's a networking, storage, or wds server / settings issue.

The OS deployment happens completely fine, but during the application install phase (Application Bundle) if the application requires a reboot sometimes the deployment does not continue with the rest of the applications, will just stop the process and be logged in as administrator. 

I've checked the normal deployment logs - bdd.log and there is no errors, it shows the last app install but then just drops off. Almost like the machine is not reconnecting to the deployment share to continue installations after the reboot.

This is very random and does not happen on the same app or just one machine model, it's almost like a networking hiccup or something else. The apps exist on the deployment share which is on a 2008 VM with Nas storage.

Any help is appreciated, other logs to look at or if anyone else has seen similar etc...

Thank You!

Saturday, December 21, 2013 11:33 PM

All replies

• if the application requires a reboot sometimes the deployment does not continue with the rest of the applications, will just stop the process and be logged in as administrator. 
    Are you allowing the application installer reboot the system, or are you using the task sequence to reboot the system?  You should avoid letting application installers reboot the system, this will cause problems.  You should always suppress reboots when installing applications.  If a reboot is needed to prevent subsequent installs from failing, you can add a reboot step in the task sequence.

www.vaughnemiller.com

Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:18 PM
  • I experienced a similar problem in the past.  As Vaughn suggests, you should avoid letting applications initiate reboots.  You should suppress all installer reboots, and put a step in your task sequence to handle reboots when necessary.  In addition, check to make sure there isn't a windows update forcing a reboot.  In the scenario I encountered, WSUS had recently approved several windows updates which were set to auto install and reboot.  I had to service my image to include those updates to remedy the problem. 
    Monday, December 23, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Appreciate the info guys... To clarify - I have been dealing with reboots by checking the Reboot  box on the application within the workbench, is that correct or should I be going about it differently and adding an actual reboot step on the task sequence ?

Also is an app bundle the way you guys are installing apps or installing one app at a time on the task sequence then throwing a reboot step if needed?

Thanks Again, really appreciate the responses!

Jack

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:28 PM
  • That check box should be OK to use, you just REALLY want to make sure that you are suppressing the installer's reboot and letting the task sequence control the restart.

I have typically installed multiple apps using roles in the database, or in some cases cs.ini to specify the list of applications to be installed.  I have actually been pretty lucky to not need reboots during the application installs.

www.vaughnemiller.com

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Thanks for the help guys, I believe I'm all set now. Basically removed the reboot from the problematic app and put the app at the end of the app bundle. 

This one was strange... It was the App-V client which I originally did not have a reboot and was the very first app installed in the bundle. With no reboot, I noticed some machines installed the app-v client then would skip all the other apps and move on to the next phase, which is why I added a reboot.

After adding the reboot I started seeing the problem I posted above logged in as admin. So ultimately removed the reboot and added it as the last app, which seems to be working.

Thanks Again.

• Proposed as answer by Vaughn_E_Miller Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:25 PM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Glad to hear you got it sorted out...

www.vaughnemiller.com

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 5:20 PM