Outlook 2010 - "Cannot Save Attachment" - Network shares, PDF files only RRS feed

• Question

• I am encountering a very odd issue where at least two users, when trying to save to any network share, are getting the following error:

"Cannot save the attachment"

That's it.  No error about failing to create the file, just that.

Oddly enough, it only seems to apply to PDF files.  

Things I have done so far:

• Disabled the preview pane
    • Cleared the content.outlook folder
    • pointed the temp folder to a new folder (called c:\temp0)
    • Cleared folder temp0
    • Tried in both Cached Exchange Mode and without
    • Removed all Windows Updates that occurred within the established time frame that the issue began
    • Rebuilt the PST file
    • Tried saving the file to the network share while bypassing the drive mapping
    • Added the EnableCopyfromEFS DWord to the registry and set value to 1

My next go is probably a complete reinstall of Office, but before I do that I noted the other user.  I'm not aware of any setting at the Exchange level or within the folder permissions that would specifically cause an issue with PDF files.  I'm not engaging Adobe... could it be causing some kind of issue though?

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:38 PM

Answers

• I am encountering a very odd issue where at least two users, when trying to save to any network share, are getting the following error:

My next go is probably a complete reinstall of Office, but before I do that I noted the other user.  I'm not aware of any setting at the Exchange level or within the folder permissions that would specifically cause an issue with PDF files.  I'm not engaging Adobe... could it be causing some kind of issue though?

Seriously doubt that a re-install will alter the results. Suggest running the fix from

Error message when you try to open or save an e-mail attachment in Outlook: "Cannot create file"
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/305982

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, May 26, 2016 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, May 27, 2016 6:40 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 2:19 AM

All replies

Seriously doubt that a re-install will alter the results. Suggest running the fix from

Error message when you try to open or save an e-mail attachment in Outlook: "Cannot create file"
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/305982

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, May 26, 2016 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, May 27, 2016 6:40 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

What if we copy the PDF attachment and then paste it to the network share? Will you get the error message in this situation? Please also check if you can save the PDF attachment to local first and then move it to the network share.

Do you have any antivirus software installed? Please try temporarily disable the antivirus and then check if this issue continues.

In addition, do you have disk quotas turned on? Is the PDF attachment too large? Have you tried with a small PDF attachment?

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:17 AM