none
GPresult Administrative Templates error

Question

• Any Windows 10 machine within our domain gives a registry value error such as 

The registry value listed is different on multiple machines, but other than that the error is the same. I am not seeing this issue on our Windows 7 domain joined machines. I found this site http://ccmexec.com/2016/03/group-policy-result-errors-when-windows-defender-managed-through-configuration-manager/ stating what the cause is, but no fix is listed. Is there a currently a fix to this issue,  or is one currentyl being developed?

Thanks,
    EJ

• Edited by EJtech13 Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:37 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 10:48 PM

Answers

• I was able to get error to go away, and view the Administrative Templates using GPresult /H by removing the WindowsDefender.admx and WindowsDefender.adml files from the Central Store since we don't have any group policies using those templates. It seems odd to me that Microsoft wouldn't have some standardization between how System Center and Group Policy write values to the registry, and they don't seem to have any plan on fixing it even though there are many complaints on the internet.

Thanks,
    EJ

• Marked as answer by EJtech13 Wednesday, April 06, 2016 12:51 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi EJ,

I cannot see the error message you provide.

Do your error is same with or similar with the website you provided?

If your error is similar with the website, I suggest you provide your error message again.

If same, you could find the registry key and correct the type.

The path of allusersprofile is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

OR

You could also backup the template and rebuilt it from a clean machine.

Here are two similar threads below for your reference.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e0661c8b-8d64-4152-bea4-540d2d710cd5/fep-2010-admin-template-breaks-gpresult-h-on-sccm-2012-clients?forum=FCSNext

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/1b7c594f-511a-4703-b055-8998a36766ca/registry-value-tcid99-is-of-unexpected-type?forum=winserverGP

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Any Windows 10 machine within our domain gives a registry value error such as 

The registry value listed is different on multiple machines, but other than that the error is the same. I am not seeing this issue on our Windows 7 domain joined machines. I found this site http://ccmexec.com/2016/03/group-policy-result-errors-when-windows-defender-managed-through-configuration-manager/ stating what the cause is, but no fix is listed. Is there a currently a fix to this issue,  or is one currentyl being developed?

Thanks,
    EJ

Can't see your picture so will take a guess;

the blog article by Jörgen describes the symptom and also the cause. Jörgen identifies the cause is COnfigMgr itself which is creating the registry key as a DWORD but the gpresult/rsop/gpmc complains because the ADMX defines that registry key as STRING not DWORD.
    The solution is that ConfigMgr should cease incorrectly specifying as DWORD if the expected type is STRING.
    Or, edit the ADMX and change the type from STRING to be DWORD.
    Jörgen mentions that Defender doesn't seem to care about they type, it works for Defender anyway, so he suggests to ignore the problem as a cosmetic issue only.

Is your question relating to exactly the scenario Jörgen writes about? i.e. Defender settings managed by ConfigMgr ?

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:08 AM
  • The exact error that shows from one of my Windows 10 machines after running Gpresult /H is "An error has occurred while collecting data for Administrative Templates. The following errors were encountered: Registry value %windir%\SecurityDatabase\*.jrs is of unexpected type." I did look at a working Gpresult file from a Windows 7 machine and have confirmed that this is a value located in our SCCM antimalware policies exclusions list. I can't figure out how these exclusions are being set via group policy though since there isn't a GPO for these in Group Policy Management Editor.

Thanks,
    EJ

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:13 PM
  • The exact error that shows from one of my Windows 10 machines after running Gpresult /H is "An error has occurred while collecting data for Administrative Templates. The following errors were encountered: Registry value %windir%\SecurityDatabase\*.jrs is of unexpected type." I did look at a working Gpresult file from a Windows 7 machine and have confirmed that this is a value located in our SCCM antimalware policies exclusions list. I can't figure out how these exclusions are being set via group policy though since there isn't a GPO for these in Group Policy Management Editor.

Thanks,
    EJ

ConfigMgr tends to just poke the registry keys/values by using direct registry methods rather than by GP.
    GPEDIT/GPMC won't show it unless there is a matching reference within the ADMX/ADML.
    So it's ConfigMgr which is "doing the wrong thing", in a way.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:55 PM
  • Hi EJ,

About the error "An error has occurred while collecting data for Administrative Templates. The following errors were encountered: Registry value %windir%\SecurityDatabase\*.jrs is of unexpected type."

Here is s similar thread below for your reference.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/651e9006-adb8-4eb4-ac65-141765d235f0/system-center-endpoint-and-group-policy-results?forum=configmanagergeneral

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 6:22 AM
  • I was able to get error to go away, and view the Administrative Templates using GPresult /H by removing the WindowsDefender.admx and WindowsDefender.adml files from the Central Store since we don't have any group policies using those templates. It seems odd to me that Microsoft wouldn't have some standardization between how System Center and Group Policy write values to the registry, and they don't seem to have any plan on fixing it even though there are many complaints on the internet.

Thanks,
    EJ

• Marked as answer by EJtech13 Wednesday, April 06, 2016 12:51 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 1:10 PM
  • maybe you could join MSFT Connect, and log this as a bug?

https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext

https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext/Feedback

Friday, March 25, 2016 2:26 AM
  • Same Problem
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 5:05 AM
  • SCCM Update 1606 can solve the Problem.
    Friday, August 26, 2016 11:55 AM