New WSUS Environment Suggestions RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking at setting up a new WSUS Environment to replace out existing WSUS server this running 2008. I would like to get some suggestions on best practice, as I have two options for the new environment.

Option 1. Setup a master WSUS server and 3 down stream servers, one server for Desktop to test updates, one server for production updates and one server for Server updates.

Option 2. Setup one WSUS server and control updates by groups, one for desktop to test updates, one for prod updates, and one for Server updates.

The only problem I see with option 2 is that I would have to search through approved updates after I send them to Desktop testing and then try and find them to approve for Prod. Also we are sitting at 99801 updates for all the systems/products we are using.

So any suggestions would be great, Thanks.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi GE3K.me,

I think you have already pointed out the advantage and disadvantage of using one WSUS server to manage the updates.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have several servers and related resource is abundant, then you may set up several downstream WSUS servers, and make them autonomous;

If you do not have so many servers, then, one WSUS server is also enough to manage these updates. If you want to filter related updates, you may create customizable views.

Feel free to ask if you have other detailed questions.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hi GE3K.me,

I think you have already pointed out the advantage and disadvantage of using one WSUS server to manage the updates.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have several servers and related resource is abundant, then you may set up several downstream WSUS servers, and make them autonomous;

If you do not have so many servers, then, one WSUS server is also enough to manage these updates. If you want to filter related updates, you may create customizable views.

Feel free to ask if you have other detailed questions.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:35 AM
  • Hi GE3K.me,

Could the above replies be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:43 AM