none
Save as to reduce size of file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are using MS Project professional 2013.

We use the save as to reduce the file size as has been suggested on this forum and that works pretty well. It does reduce the file size.

We were trying to see if we could reduce the file size even further and wanted to try another option such as doing a save as to XML and then back again opening up XML and doing a save as back to mpp.We can save it as type xml but our system doesn't allow a selection of file type mpp when we try and save it back. It only allows for save as type of Text Document (*.txt and all files (*.*)

Is there a way to take the XML project schedule and save it back to the .mpp?

Does it lose anything going from mpp to xml back to mpp?

The project file size is 50,000 kb. When we do the save as to xml it is 211,000 kb but we don't know what it will be reducing it.

In general, in regard to file size, we also know that the file size increases way more if we roll up the baseline vs. only baselining a set of tasks that only includes 4 additional tasks at the very top of the schedule. However, we need to roll up. Not sure it's even worth doing this but thought we would ask

Thanks

Monday, March 18, 2019 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You should have a "XML format" option, and also "all files" selection in the OPEN dialog box (and not NEW).

It will actually loose any formatting (bold, italic, color for font and background) and any pictures and shapes inserted. 

I'm not sure that the save as XML will reduce the size. My advice would be to see if you cannot segregrate the project to split it in various MPP files and use a master project to get the overall picture.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, March 18, 2019 2:25 PM
  • Hotmail1,

If I, someone else, hasn't mentioned it before, your structure would likely benefit by switching to Project Online. Continuing to use a dynamic master with files that large will only become more challenging.

However, if switching is just not practical at this point, you might want to consider reducing the overall structure size/bulk by eliminating/consolidating historical data from each of the 11 subprojects (i.e. delete or consolidate tasks that are already complete). If you have been doing a regular, periodic save as on the whole structure, you will always have the complete historical data for future reference.

Just a thought.

John

• Marked as answer by Hotmail1 Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:53 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You should have a "XML format" option, and also "all files" selection in the OPEN dialog box (and not NEW).

It will actually loose any formatting (bold, italic, color for font and background) and any pictures and shapes inserted. 

I'm not sure that the save as XML will reduce the size. My advice would be to see if you cannot segregrate the project to split it in various MPP files and use a master project to get the overall picture.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, March 18, 2019 2:25 PM
  • Thanks

We already have a Master schedule that only contains links to 11 individual schedules.

The schedule we were mentioning is just 1 of the 11 schedules that happens to be 50 meg.

We don't want to lose any formatting, etc. so it seems like the only choices we have to reduce file size is to either do a save right away or save as.

Monday, March 18, 2019 4:38 PM
  • Hotmail1,

If I, someone else, hasn't mentioned it before, your structure would likely benefit by switching to Project Online. Continuing to use a dynamic master with files that large will only become more challenging.

However, if switching is just not practical at this point, you might want to consider reducing the overall structure size/bulk by eliminating/consolidating historical data from each of the 11 subprojects (i.e. delete or consolidate tasks that are already complete). If you have been doing a regular, periodic save as on the whole structure, you will always have the complete historical data for future reference.

Just a thought.

John

• Marked as answer by Hotmail1 Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:53 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 4:48 PM