none
Working Time and Exceptions are Ignored in Project File RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I thought this would be a simple task but here is what I am trying to do (maybe Project is not the tool for this);

1) I have created a calendar that outlines the following;

- December 24th to 30th is vacation.

- Work days are 6 hours a day.

2) I have a some tasks assigned to user A.

3) One of these tasks is set to start on the 23rd and will take 18 hours (3 days) to complete.

I would think that project would show - the task starts on the 23rd (1 day), and then does not pick up again until January 1st (because of the exception) and would be completed on January 2 (the other 12 hours being completed).

Instead it has them working through this time period?

Also, if I change the work hours for the calendar (which the tasks are associated to), I do not see the date move out or in based on these changes.  I.e., let's say I change the working time hours to 9 per day, I would expect the Gantt chart to show work started on the 23rd and was completed on the first.

Maybe I am using project in the wrong way, but it seems like a valid tool to accomplish this.

Thanks - Greg.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

I know that :-)

I just wondered how YOU did it in this case since I heve never seen this problem and I'm afraid the calendar is not correctly connected to the task.

Other possibility - Is calculation set to automatic? If we are talking Project 2010, do we speak automaticlly scheduled tasks or manually scheduled?

Greetings,

Friday, November 25, 2011 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How exactly di you "associate" the calendar to that task?

Greetings,

Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:27 PM
  • On the task, you can select what calendar it should follow.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi Greg,

I know that :-)

I just wondered how YOU did it in this case since I heve never seen this problem and I'm afraid the calendar is not correctly connected to the task.

Other possibility - Is calculation set to automatic? If we are talking Project 2010, do we speak automaticlly scheduled tasks or manually scheduled?

Greetings,

Friday, November 25, 2011 9:08 AM