none
What is the best way to upgrade from DPM 2012 to DPM 2019? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We currently are running DPM 2012 and are purchasing DPM 2019.  DPM 2012 is currently installed on a physical machine, but I would like to install DPM 2019 on a VM.  I still consider myself a newbie on DPM, as my previous experience was with Veeam, BackupExec, and other products that were... well, just easier to use.  :-)  We currently have some backup on a local SAN and some backup in the cloud.

The question has come up, "How will you migrate past restore points from the old server to the new one?"  I don't have a good answer.

I'm also concerned with some of what I've read about backward compatibility.  We still have some servers that are Server 2012 R2, which we will eventually upgrade but aren't ready yet.  We also have an old ERP system on a Server 2008 VM that is no longer used in Production, but we are still keeping around for occasional historical access.  This machine will not be upgraded.

I would appreciate any guidance anyone can offer about charting a course forward.

Thanks,

Zachary Hamilton

Wednesday, September 16, 2020 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Zachary,

You have basically two options:

1. Upgrade DPM

This will require you to perform in-place upgrades of the Windows Server & SQL Server versions, and also an in-place upgrade of DPM, I wouldn't recommend this as it involves so many upgrade steps which makes it risky for corruption.

2. New DPM 2019 installation

The easiest option is to install a new DPM 2019 environment on the side, then simply start moving the agents, this will require you to remove the agents from the old DPM 2012 environment, and reinstall them from the new DPM 2019 environment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DPM officially supports Windows Server 2012 - 2019, this does not necessarily mean that Windows Server 2008 won't work, depending on if it's 32/64 bit of course.

I wouldn't advise using something that is not supported, another way would simply be to keep the old DPM 2012 and back u your old servers with that, and everything that's 2012 or newer can be backed up by the DPM 2019 environment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do decide to do the upgrade, then you have the opportunity to migrate from your legacy storage to the new Modern Backup Storage (MBS), the steps are mentioned here:
    Migrate legacy storage to Modern Backup Storage

For upgrading, you need to be very careful and check both the Windows Server and SQL Server versions and which DPM supports, so you will have to perform in-place upgrades depending on your versions.

I have written a step-by-step article for upgrading DPM 2016 / 1801 / 1807 to DPM 2019:
    DPM Step-By-Step: upgrading to v2019

To upgrade DPM 2012 (R2?) to DPM 2016 you'll find the steps detailed here:
    Upgrade to DPM 2016

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Saturday, October 10, 2020 7:39 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 2:44 PM
  • Hello Leon,

As always, thanks for your response.  If I build a new DPM 2019 server, will it still be able to recover from previous backups made by the old DPM 2012 server?  We have three tiers of protection, two that save to a local SAN and one that saves to the Microsoft cloud.  Would I need to import data from the old SQL database for the new DPM server to "see" and be aware of the existence and location of those old jobs?

Thanks,

Zachary Hamilton

Thursday, September 17, 2020 2:59 PM
  • Hello,
    You cannot directly update from SCDPM 2012 r2 to SCDPM 2019. There is an indirect way through SCDPM 2016. That is, SCDPM2012R2> SCDPM2016> SCDPM2019. Here is the official Microsoft documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/upgrade-dpm?view=sc-dpm-2019. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dcb6062e-30dc-46c1-9e50-3b211f5ea640/what-is-the-best-way-to-upgrade-from-dpm-2012-to- dpm-2019? forum = dpmhypervbackup
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 3:03 PM
  • You can connect the new DPM 2019 to your existing Azure Recovery Services Vault (Note: Only one DPM server may be connected at the time).

The challenge is always if you must keep the old protection, if this is the case you could:

• Cancel all pending scheduled backup jobs for the day and wait for running jobs to complete.
    • Make a backup of the DPM database.  Make a note of the version of SQL server + SP's if the new DPM Server is going to use local instance.
    • Copy the backup of the DPMDB to a network share on another server.
    • Shutdown the DPM 2012 server.
    • Reset the machine account for the DPM Server in Active Directory - this will allow you to reuse the machine account for the new DPM Server.
    • Install Windows Server 2016 + updates on the new server.
    • Rename the machine to the same name as the original primary DPM 2012 sever and join the domain.
    • Install SQL Server + SP's as original DPM 2012 server.
    • Copy the DPMDB from the network location to the new DPM server (Windows Server 2016).
    • Restore the DPMDB
    • Attach the DPM Storage pool disks to the new DPM Server (Windows Server 2016).
    • Open disk management and import the foreign disks.
    • Run DPMSync -Sync
    • Open the DPM console and check agent communications and make sure DPM storage pool disks look good- then run consistency checks on all data sources.

After this you have basically migrated to a newer Windows Server version, now you can in-place upgrade your SQL Server to the highest supported by DPM 2012 which is SQL Server 2014, apply Service Pack 2 (because DPM 2016 supports this).

You can also use SQL Server 2012 with SP4 this is also supported by DPM 2016.

Once the SQL Server is at its highest possible version supported by DPM 2012, perform an in-place upgrade to DPM 2016.

After this, you can in-place upgrade your SQL Server yet again to SQL Server 2016 (this is supported by DPM 2016 & 2019).

Once you have done that, you can either do the same steps as mentioned above, to a Windows Server 2019 server, or stay at the current Windows Server 2016 server.

After this, you can in-place upgrade DPM 2016 to DPM 2019.

As you notice, there are a lot of steps involved, but with a good plan, this is doable, migrating the protected data from DPM 2012 to DPM 2019 isn't that easy.

Another way would be to simply Stop the protection groups on your old DPM 2012 (with the "retain data" option), remove the DPM protection agents from the DPM 2012 environment, the protected data will stay as "Inactive protection". Install the new DPM 2019 environment and push the new agents on the protected server, start protecting on your new DPM 2019 environment.

If you would need to restore a backup, it's a bit messy, but you can install the old DPM 2012 agent on the protected computer, attach it to the DPM 2012 environment so it becomes healthy, add the protected agent to a protection group and you should then be able to restore data.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Saturday, October 10, 2020 7:39 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 3:25 PM