Imported Exchange MP - Business Service fails to populate Service Components RRS feed

• Question

• Afternoon All,
    I've just tried on a fresh install of SCSM (I've tried this in the past with same results so wanted a fresh install to try) importing the Exchange 2003 SCOM MP and setup the SCOM CI Connector to enable it to pull enough info back so that it can populate the Service Components for the Exchange Service under Business Services.

However, yet again, no matter how long I wait, it never populates any information for the Exchange Service.

It is populating information for AD Topology and my custom SCOM Distributed apps fine.

Looking at the Operations Manager event log (That really should have been renamed) on the SCSM Management server I'm seeing this critical alert:

-------------------------------------------------
    Connector Name=OM Connector - Configuration Information, Id=ecc00f51-bfec-1a7c-2e4f-339987578999

Error while trying to write instance of class [Microsoft.Exchange.ServiceComponent.RoutingGroup, Microsoft.Exchange.Server.Library].

Message:Either the form is missing some values or the class that created it no longer exists. Make sure all key values are populated and submit again. If you continue to see this error, contact your Service Manager administrator..
    ----------------------------------------------------

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:59 AM

Answers

• Steve, We filed a bug for this issue and will try to address this in Service Pack 1 for Service Manager. The bug number for the issue is 189811
    Thanks! Manoj Parvathaneni Microsoft System Center Support
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:03 PM

All replies

• Is the Microsoft.ExchangeServer.Library MP imported into SCSM?
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:11 PM
  • I imported all 3 MP's to be safe since it didn't work on the other dev server:
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.Library.mp
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2003.Monitoring.mp
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2003.Discovery.mp

All are version 6.0.6702.0 with all pre-req MP's imported first.

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Hi Steve.

• How often do you get the error that you reported in the initial problem description? 
    • What Cumulative Update for Service Manager is installed on the SCSM Management Server?

Please collect an ETL trace while reproducing the error using the below steps and email me on the address: manoj_parvathaneni@hotmail.com. I'll send you the instructions to upload the file to a secure workspace.

1.       On the SCSM Management server extract the contents  of C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Tools\TraceScenarios.cab to the following directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Tools. Once this is done you should see the following files in the Tools directory: Connectors.ctl, ConsoleUI.ctl, DataWareHouse.ctl, Default.ctl, Performance.ctl, PortalSSP.ctl, SDK.ctl, Workflows.ctl

2. Open a command prompt with the elevated privileges(Run as Administrator option).

3. Change to the directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Tools

4. Enable tracing by running the following command:

tracelogsm.exe -start OpsMgrSyncIssue -flag 0x700FF010 -level 5 -rt -f OpsMgrSyncIssue.etl -b 8 -ft 10 -cir 150 -guid Connectors.ctl

5. Reproduce the issue.

6. Stop the tracing by issuing the following command: tracelogsm.exe -stop OpsMgrSyncIssue 

7. You should now have a file called OpsMgrSyncIssue.etl in the following path C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Tools.

-Manoj

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 4:33 AM
  • Hi Manoj,

I'm seeing the error every time the connector runs a sync.
    The server has CU3 installed.

I'm actually noticing a lot more errors in the event log than previously, all related to service maps.  However, they relate to service maps that are working fine.

I've e-mailed a compressed version of the etl file and OpsMgr log to scsmbeta (at) live (dot) com hoping that Travis will forward it on to you.

Thanks in advance,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:15 AM
  • Thanks Steve!

I received the files. I'll review them and get back to you with my findings.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi Manoj,

Have you had time to find anything yet?

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Monday, October 11, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I have started analyzing the data and hopefully I'll have more information by COB tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Manoj

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Based on the review of the logs it appears that we are hitting a bug here. I have forwarded this to our development team and they are going to take a look at this further. I'll let you know once I hear more from them.

I'll let you know once I hear back from them.

Thanks,
    Manoj

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Steve, We filed a bug for this issue and will try to address this in Service Pack 1 for Service Manager. The bug number for the issue is 189811
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Sweet, thanks Manoj!
    My System Center Blog
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Manoj, I can't find that bug number (189811) on connect.

Am I looking in the right place?

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:47 PM
  • 189811 is the internal bug tracking system ID number.
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Arh right, I was thinking I would be able to track it via the connect website.

Thanks for logging it anyway!

Cheers,
    SB

P.S.  Any more info you could share as to what's causing this?

My System Center Blog
    Monday, November 8, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Was this resolved in Service Manager SP1?  I have SP1 in my environment and when I create the SCOM CI Connector and am at the point of choosing which MPs to sync, Exchange is not an option (yes, it's installed in the SCOM environment).  Any ideas?
    Friday, February 25, 2011 10:38 PM
  • I've not tried re-importing since SP1 was released so I'm not sure if it was resolved or not.

However, you won't see the MP as available for syncing in the connector until you've imported the MP into Service Manager.

Have you done that step yet?

My System Center Blog
    Friday, February 25, 2011 11:22 PM
  • Hi,

I'm trying to build Business Services out of Distributed Apps at the moment, and am seeing the lack of Service Components issue so far with both standard MP content (AD Topology) and with some very simple custom DAs I created for testing. We're up to SP1 already, so I was wondering if it normally takes quite a bit of time fo populate that piece of a BS? Its been less than 24 hours so far. I'm not seeing any errors in the event log, and I'm fairly certain I have imported the correct version of all required MPs.

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Lab environment is running SCOM 2007 R2 CU3 and SCSM SP1 - I have the Active Directory MPs for 2000/2003 and 2008 (version 6.0.7065.0) installed in both the SCOM and SCSM environments as well as the the SCOM CI connector in place and have ran it successfully many times.  In SCOM, when I navigate to Authoring > Distributed Applications and then right-click on the Active Directory Toopology Root and choose "View Diagram" I get a nice view of my AD sites, site-links and some other things and can drill-down to eventually see all my AD servers and their respective components (health service, disk availability, OS health, etc..).  This is what I assume should show up under the Service Components tab in SCSM (Configuration Items > Business Services > All Business Services > Active Directory Topology Root) - however that is not the case.  Exchange MP (version 14.0.650.8) is also installed in both SCOM and SCSM - same story as AD.

If I build a custom DA in SCOM, save it to a sealed MP and then import it to SCSM, I see the various components I included in the custom DA show up in SCSM Service Components...

Any one experiencing the same or even better, have a solution?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:31 PM