none
Windows 2012 product key use in virtual machine

Question

• Dear Friends,

Microsoft announced, Windows 2012 R2 product key has ability to use in one physical machine and two virtual machines.

My doubt is Is that virtual machine will be in the particular physical machine or it can be in any other machines?

please share your knowledge guys.

Thanks,

Lingaprakash R

Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:15 PM

Answers

• Keep in mind, the 2 licenses for virtual machines are only valid if you ONLY install Hyper-V role on the physical machine.  As soon as you install a different role, the licensing changes, and you only have 1 virtual machine license available. 
    • Marked as answer by Lingaprakash Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:53 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:49 PM
  • My doubt is Is that virtual machine will be in the particular physical machine or it can be in any other machines?

These two virtual machines can only be in the particular physical machine. You cannot split a licence over two physical machines (Hyper-v hosts).

Basically, you are licencing the physical machine, and giving that machine the ability to run two VM's.

By the way, it's not the product key, but the license. A license of Standard edition of Windows Server 2012 R2, will give you 2 “Free” licenses for virtual machines, whereas with Windows Server 2012 R2 Data Center edition you get unlimited virtualization rights (as many virtual machines as your hardware platform can support).

After installing AD role, you still can install one VM via Hyper-v service.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Lingaprakash Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi

If you install Server 2012 r2(Standard) on a physcial server,then you can configure 2 VOSE on hyper-v include licence.(you should use 2 vose on same physcial host with hyper-v)

ALso check this articel for "Licensing Windows Server 2012 R2 for use with virtualization Technologies"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/learn-more/brief-windows-server-virtualization.aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:37 PM
  • Keep in mind, the 2 licenses for virtual machines are only valid if you ONLY install Hyper-V role on the physical machine.  As soon as you install a different role, the licensing changes, and you only have 1 virtual machine license available. 
    • Marked as answer by Lingaprakash Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:53 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:49 PM
  • Hi Scottylat2486,

Thanks for your highness,

Now i need to install AD service in my physical machine.

In future if i need to install one virtual machine through hyper-v service in that physical machine, is it possible or not?

If not what can i do to install a virtual machine in that physical machine?.

Friday, February 19, 2016 3:11 PM
  • My doubt is Is that virtual machine will be in the particular physical machine or it can be in any other machines?

These two virtual machines can only be in the particular physical machine. You cannot split a licence over two physical machines (Hyper-v hosts).

Basically, you are licencing the physical machine, and giving that machine the ability to run two VM's.

By the way, it's not the product key, but the license. A license of Standard edition of Windows Server 2012 R2, will give you 2 “Free” licenses for virtual machines, whereas with Windows Server 2012 R2 Data Center edition you get unlimited virtualization rights (as many virtual machines as your hardware platform can support).

After installing AD role, you still can install one VM via Hyper-v service.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Lingaprakash Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Dear Ethan Hua,

Thanks for your information.

Another one thing, If i install AD + DHCP + Printer services on my machine right now, In future am i can install hyper or not ?

Regards,

Lingaprakash R

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:53 PM
  • As per my understanding, you should still be able to install one VM.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:54 AM
  • Thank you so much Ethan Hua, now i understand the license feature.

Thanks,

Lingaprakash R

Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:01 PM