Boosts and Blocks in SBC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have setup a search profile with 10 documents "boosted" in the order from #1 to #10 via SBC. However, when I search the keyword using the exact same query, the order of the results do not align with how I ordered it in boosts & blocks section (i.e. they appear in the original order before the boosted order). I have tried in both Preview Search and Published Search (of course after publishing the changes).

Is there any additional configuration and/or settings I need to apply in order for this to work? 

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

How are you performing your search – are you searching in the Search Front End, or the qrserver?  I would recommend conducting your search from the Search Front End, if you are not already.  Also I would recommend clearing the qrserver cache, and if you have less than 80 views, then refresh and redploy the views.  The steps to perform each are below:

Clear qrserver cache

Stop each qrserver process with the command nctrl stop qrserver

Rename %fastsearch%\var\qrserver folder on each qrserver node, as this is where the cache is stored.

Start the qrserver process with the command nctrl start qrserver

If you have less than 80 views, as reported by the command “view-admin –m list”, redeploy and refresh the views

Run the command at the command line from the admin node: view-admin -m refresh –a

Run the command at the command line from the admin node: view-admin -m deploy –a

Once the above is completed, do you see that the behavior is still occurring?  If so, I would recommend opening a ticket with our Technical Support team, so we can perform additional investigation.  Please include an exported copy of your boosts.xml file, and the fixml of a sample document.  Let us know your findings, and if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service   & Support                            Microsoft| Services

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How are you performing your search – are you searching in the Search Front End, or the qrserver?  I would recommend conducting your search from the Search Front End, if you are not already.  Also I would recommend clearing the qrserver cache, and if you have less than 80 views, then refresh and redploy the views.  The steps to perform each are below:

Clear qrserver cache

Stop each qrserver process with the command nctrl stop qrserver

Rename %fastsearch%\var\qrserver folder on each qrserver node, as this is where the cache is stored.

Start the qrserver process with the command nctrl start qrserver

If you have less than 80 views, as reported by the command “view-admin –m list”, redeploy and refresh the views

Run the command at the command line from the admin node: view-admin -m refresh –a

Run the command at the command line from the admin node: view-admin -m deploy –a

Once the above is completed, do you see that the behavior is still occurring?  If so, I would recommend opening a ticket with our Technical Support team, so we can perform additional investigation.  Please include an exported copy of your boosts.xml file, and the fixml of a sample document.  Let us know your findings, and if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service   & Support                            Microsoft| Services

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Thanks Rob, clearing the qrserver cache worked.
    Friday, June 8, 2012 1:47 AM